GTX 1060 6GB vs RX 580 4GB

Thanzex

Hi there! I'm building a PC for a friend, he mainly uses it for 3D applications, Photoshop, Premiere and light gaming. 

For the GPU I mainly have two options, both used:

• RX 580 4GB ~ 130€
  • GTX 1060 6GB ~ 210€

They seem to go head-to-head in most situations, the 1060 could have a slight edge on Adobe and Blender, plus the extra 2GB can benefit the longevity of the system.

The 80€ price difference, however, is making me think twice about this.

For the rest with the system I'm going with:

• Ryzen 5 3600 + 212 EVO
  • 16GB 2x8 3200MHz 
  • GIGABYTE DS3H B550m 
  • 500W PSU
  • 1440p Monitor
  • 500GB NVMe 

Which one would you choose? 

Could spending less now and getting an upgrade later on be an option?

1 minute ago, WikiForce said:

neither are capable of 1440p gaming, you would to lucky to even 60fps in low or medium in most newer games

Gaming is not the primary objective of this system, he is going to use this mainly to work, gaming as an added bonus.

I do have a 580 and at 1080p is capable keeping  a steady 60fps on high to highest settings im most newer games, so dropping to medium on 1440p is not that big of a deal.

My main concerns are the price difference, the extra 2GB of ram and application performance and if spending a little less now and upgrading to a better GPU 1-2 years from now makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Thanzex said:

Gaming is not the primary objective of this system, he is going to use this mainly to work, gaming as an added bonus.

I do have a 580 and at 1080p is capable keeping  a steady 60fps on high to highest settings im most newer games, so dropping to medium on 1440p is not that big of a deal.

My main concerns are the price difference, the extra 2GB of ram and application performance and if spending a little less now and upgrading to a better GPU 1-2 years from now makes sense.

If it's for work, the ROI in time saved is worth the extra cost.

Might even be better to get something more expensive that what you presented if it performs better in the tasks at hand.

Check Puget systems benchmarking

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x