Problem with my CPU running up to 100 C when starting up Games

NeoniX

My cpu is not overclocked that im aware of and has an idle temp of 40 to 50c
However booting up certain games makes my cpu go high into temp and slowly decrease.
I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz

Maximum was when I booted up Minecraft in this case, but it also does this to Overwatch and Warzone, none of my steam games seem to be affected

Screenshot (2).png

4 minutes ago, NeoniX said:

However booting up certain games makes my cpu go high into temp and slowly decrease.

Maximum was when I booted up Minecraft in this case, but it also does this to Overwatch and Warzone, none of my steam games seem to be affected

Screenshot (2).png

Welcome to the forums!

What is your case and cooler?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

My case is a iBUYPOWER Snowblind Element Gaming Case
and a iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System

8 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Welcome to the forums!

Oh and thanks!

Run HWiNFO. RealTemp has not been updated in many years. What does HWiNFO report for VCore voltage? You are definitely thermal throttling.

Is your voltage set to AUTO in the BIOS? Too much voltage will result in too much heat.

51 minutes ago, NeoniX said:

Screenshot (2).png

My I7-4790 used to go up to 100ºC during idle on liquid, this is what I did. I reapplied thermal compound resulting in my idle going down to 25-30ºC. but only do this if you feel comfortable. 

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

6 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Run HWiNFO. RealTemp has not been updated in many years. What does HWiNFO report for VCore voltage? You are definitely thermal throttling.

Is your voltage set to AUTO in the BIOS? Too much voltage will result in too much heat.

Can you tell me where to find the VCore voltage and im not sure about the AUTO in BIOS

7 minutes ago, NeoniX said:

Can you tell me

Run the Sensors-only option in HWiNFO and scroll down until you see VCore.

image.png.b1b3e47143370458f2b6e1c329a3ed42.png

Who installed your cooler? Did they do a good job? Did they use a high quality thermal paste and use the right amount? Too much voltage is one possible problem but a poorly installed heatsink is another possibility.

What motherboard model do you have? Look in the manual or search for a YouTube video that shows how to adjust the CPU voltage.

40 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Run the Sensors-only option in HWiNFO and scroll down until you see VCore.

image.png.b1b3e47143370458f2b6e1c329a3ed42.png

Who installed your cooler? Did they do a good job? Did they use a high quality thermal paste and use the right amount? Too much voltage is one possible problem but a poorly installed heatsink is another possibility.

What motherboard model do you have? Look in the manual or search for a YouTube video that shows how to adjust the CPU voltage.

Sorry for the late response,
My motherboard is an ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4-IB -- 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1 (1 Type-C, 3 Rear, 4 Front), ASRock Super Alloy
They installed the cooler and id assume thermal paste as well, not sure what brand

And here is my results

Screenshot (6).png

28 minutes ago, NeoniX said:

my results

Your CPU VCore voltage looks OK. You might be able to lower it a little bit. This would not help your temps significantly so it is probably not your main problem.

My best guess is that either your cooler is not great, it is defective or it was not installed correctly. I would try to reinstall it.

31 minutes ago, NeoniX said:

assume

When you install your own cooler, you will never have to assume if someone else did a good job or not. This is a fairly simple procedure. The best thing you can do is watch some YouTube videos, buy a tube of quality thermal paste and learn how to do this maintenance procedure yourself. Your CPU cores should not be hitting 100°C while gaming. When you pull the cooler off, have a look to see if the thermal paste is covering the entire CPU. If they did not use enough thermal paste, this might be the problem.

20 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Your CPU VCore voltage looks OK. You might be able to lower it a little bit. This would not help your temps significantly so it is probably not your main problem.

My best guess is that either your cooler is not great, it is defective or it was not installed correctly. I would try to reinstall it.

When you install your own cooler, you will never have to assume if someone else did a good job or not. This is a fairly simple procedure. The best thing you can do is watch some YouTube videos, buy a tube of quality thermal paste and learn how to do this maintenance procedure yourself. Your CPU cores should not be hitting 100°C while gaming. When you pull the cooler off, have a look to see if the thermal paste is covering the entire CPU. If they did not use enough thermal paste, this might be the problem.

Ill gladly take a look as this pc means alot to me, however my temps do go down while gaming after a while so what im going to do is a clean install and reset my pc to try to see if any applications have caused issues.
I can buy some thermal paste and im going to see if they did place this well, or if it simple became a little loose from me picking up the pc.
I dont recall this pc having this issue however, but im going to keep an eye out and see if these things help