Laptop Recommendation

TiagoTA

First of all Hi, hope everyone is doing well

This is my first time reaching out to this community, but I'm in need of a new laptop, and I am a bit stressed out with my current choice (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS66-Stealth-10UX/Specification).

I am a Computer Engineer, but I also do some 3D Modeling/Rendering and of course play some games. I don't want a big laptop, I want something portable like the pc I am showing, the 15 inch screen is perfect.

I'm a little worried because this laptop it's Intel 10th generation i9 with thunderbold 3, but I dont see anything from AMD compatible with external gpu...

Thanks in advance

Starting tomorrow we are going to start seeing amd stuff release and reviews come out. So wait for those?

i9's have been notoriously hard to cool and no slim notebook has been able to keep them under control part from like a handfull and msi wasn't amongst those.

So I'd say just wait.

Small edit:

Look for usb 4 if you wanna do external gpu. But then again you are getting the best possible mobile gpu (if what little leaks we've had is true it's around a rtx 3060 - 3060ti desktop of performance again just leaks). Just make sure it's cooled well which this thing won't be given msi's track record and intels i9's that just run stupidly hot and will still run stupidly hot as they are once again on 14nm which takes soooo much cooling to not throttle and thin laptops can't do that unless they are very very very very well designed

Also bandwidth limit for external gpu. So you will always be capped to a lower tier card as the bandwith gets saturated and moving up a tier starts giving barely any better performance if at all.

you should look at a lenovo legion 5 with a ryzen 7 if possible. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xKtKHx/lenovo-legion-5-156-1920-x-1080-144-hz-ryzen-7-4800h-29-ghz-16-gb-memory-512-gb-nvme-ssd-storage-laptop-82b1000aus i think this is a good model, but the gpu is a bit weak for what you described.

Edit: i found an other laptop that you can get now. cpu is the same but the gpu is a 2070 super Max-Q if you are buying the best model.

Edited by Nightfear77

Thanks @jaslion and @Nightfear77 I will wait then a bit more, I've waited 2 months already, those are from last gen, if I'm buying a expensive one I want something new

Do you any ideia on when are they going to release benchmarks on the those new laptops?

3 minutes ago, TiagoTA said:

Thanks @jaslion and @Nightfear77 I will wait then a bit more, I've waited 2 months already, those are from last gen, if I'm buying a expensive one I want something new

Do you any ideia on when are they going to release benchmarks on the those new laptops?

Well starting tomorrow you might start seeing stuff. If it's anything to go by current mobile ryzen flat out beats any mobile intel whilst being cheaper and cooler. So I can't imagine they are getting much more performance out of another 14nm i9 especially in a laptop that size. (that and the previous one that size from msi was throttling a lot with the i9 option).

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Starting tomorrow we are going to start seeing amd stuff release and reviews come out. So wait for those?

i9's have been notoriously hard to cool and no slim notebook has been able to keep them under control part from like a handfull and msi wasn't amongst those.

So I'd say just wait.

Small edit:

Look for usb 4 if you wanna do external gpu. But then again you are getting the best possible mobile gpu (if what little leaks we've had is true it's around a rtx 3060 - 3060ti desktop of performance again just leaks). Just make sure it's cooled well which this thing won't be given msi's track record and intels i9's that just run stupidly hot and will still run stupidly hot as they are once again on 14nm which takes soooo much cooling to not throttle and thin laptops can't do that unless they are very very very very well designed

Also bandwidth limit for external gpu. So you will always be capped to a lower tier card as the bandwith gets saturated and moving up a tier starts giving barely any better performance if at all.

i9 chips aren’t harder to cool than their 6 core i7 counterparts. They all consume the same 45W under full load.

Even my MacBook stays in the 80s most of the time under stress tests, rarely topping out around 91.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Other question, are Ryzen 9 laptops compatible with External GPUs? I only see i9 Gen 10th laptops compatible with eGPUs, and even then since they are 10th Gen they are only Thunderbolt 3, not 4

8 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

i9 chips aren’t harder to cool than their 6 core i7 counterparts. They all consume the same 45W under full load.

Even my MacBook stays in the 80s most of the time under stress tests, rarely topping out around 91.

Have you looked at any laptop reviews? The i9's are a lot lot harder to cool. Also macs undervolt their cpu's to make sure the old cooling design can handle them somewhat. They don't consume 45w the i9's can go far higher when properly cooled. They have a 45w tdp which is also an understatement of their heat output and tdp does not equal power draw.

I'm seeing the reviews for the new laptops, but one issue is never talked about, is the 3080 worth the money over the 3070?

3 hours ago, TiagoTA said:

I'm seeing the reviews for the new laptops, but one issue is never talked about, is the 3080 worth the money over the 3070?

No clue yet. Also tag people with an @ otherwise we don't see the post. I just happened to come across it again. Right now there are too little reviews with too little information as just in the couple 3070 reviews I've seen there is a 30% performance difference between devices.

21 hours ago, jaslion said:

Have you looked at any laptop reviews? The i9's are a lot lot harder to cool. Also macs undervolt their cpu's to make sure the old cooling design can handle them somewhat. They don't consume 45w the i9's can go far higher when properly cooled. They have a 45w tdp which is also an understatement of their heat output and tdp does not equal power draw.

This is... not right. Apple moved to a new SKU for the 2019 15 inch. Apple isn’t sitting there custom undervolting every notebook... They likely are paying Intel a premium for said new SKU that’s binned higher than others.

Beyond that, that cooling design doesn’t even exist anymore. There’s an entirely new cooling solution in the 16 inch models that absolutely destroys the prior models in cooling capacity.

Finally, TDP is literally a measure of expected power draw while under full load by Intel at base clocks. You know, expended electrical energy equaling heat energy and all. That’s why the measurement exists.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

This is... not right. Apple moved to a new SKU for the 2019 15 inch. Apple isn’t sitting there custom undervolting every notebook... They likely are paying Intel a premium for said new SKU that’s binned higher than others.

Beyond that, that cooling design doesn’t even exist anymore. There’s an entirely new cooling solution in the 16 inch models that absolutely destroys the prior models in cooling capacity.

Finally, TDP is literally a measure of expected power draw while under full load by Intel at base clocks. You know, expended electrical energy equaling heat energy and all. That’s why the measurement exists.

TDP stands for thermal design power and that does not equal powerdraw you have plenty of variation in that. The literal formula for tdp gives you a curving graph so it's not linear to powerdraw.

Apple used the 9980h and 9980hk. But with an undervolt. It's been tested and proven. For example if you use windows the undervolt doesn't work and the mahine runs far far hotter you can see this in many programs that see what values the cpu runs at. In osx they have a default undervolt on their i9's to prevent the issue of their i7 and i9 macbooks basically performing almost the same due to heat problems. The undervolt still did not fix the overheating issue but merely lowered it a bit allowing the i9 to actually make a decent difference compared to the i7.

Also come on look up a random thick boi laptop with a 9980h and a decently sized laptop with a 9980h the tick boi (if the cooling ain't garbage) will run that 9980h with the same power limits far far faster than the thinner laptop (not thin thin laptops). Then you look at amd with their 45w tdp and they can run in tiny devices at full speed beating a 9980h (and so far the new 10th series i9 too) whilst the intel one cannot at all.

That and you can just take the exact samelaptop with an amd and intel cpu and see the intel pulls more watts. Or the exact same laptop with an i7 and i9 config both 45w tdp and see the i9 if properly cooled pull noticeably more power (that isn't just from the fan working harder)