Comcast bridge mode

minimoose

So I got a new router and called Comcast to put my gateway in bridge mode... which shut down my phones and internet, until I called and told them to turn bridge mode off.  WTF happened?  How can I avoid this.  Also my 10.0.0.1 won't load on any browser or computer, why is this?

Are you sure that 10.0.0.1 is your gateway? Check network settings in your windows to find your gateway. Don't really know much about networking but I think I am able to access my gateway when I am on my bridge router so not sure if you have to set it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So I got a new router and called Comcast to put my gateway in bridge mode... which shut down my phones and internet, until I called and told them to turn bridge mode off.  WTF happened?  How can I avoid this.  Also my 10.0.0.1 won't load on any browser or computer, why is this?

i bought my own docsis 3.0 modem and have a router, so i don't have to use the

"rental" from Comcast. still getting supported speeds and can control the QoS on

my own.

When you put it in a bridge mode, all it is doing is providing an ethernet interface for the cable/DSL connection, so the modem is doing quite next to nothing. I'm surprised that you're surprised about what the effects are..

If you're the type of person that goes "I need a new router for xyz" you should be able to configure it yourself via. the pretty web UI.

When you put it in a bridge mode, all it is doing is providing an ethernet interface for the cable/DSL connection, so the modem is doing quite next to nothing. I'm surprised that you're surprised about what the effects are..

If you're the type of person that goes "I need a new router for xyz" you should be able to configure it yourself via. the pretty web UI.

I didn't get any internet or phone, wired or with a new router I hooked up.  I wasn't aware bridge mode shut off your service....

I didn't get any internet or phone, wired or with a new router I hooked up.  I wasn't aware bridge mode shut off your service....

No, you misunderstood. It acts as a passive converter and will not actually run any services on it. You have to user other hardware to run your services.