CPU -> RAM Speed compatibility

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

That's the supported/base speed. When you enable XMP you're "overclocking" the memory above that. It will work but is more dependent on the motherboard than anything as to how easy it will be to hit those speeds and go even higher.

So continues the saga of me trying to figure out how technology works.

Hello again, I'll try to be brief about this. I am planning to build a strong PC, and I am confused. I have plans to use 3600MHz RAM. However I just noticed.. what in the name of christ does this mean, AMD? System Memory Specification Up to 3200MHz? I'm mighty confused.

What CPU out there is compatible with RAM speeds of 3600MHz? Is it more dependant on the MB? Is this spec listed just poorly explained? Am I dumb? What is happening?

image.thumb.png.34d1f43f51957cb9336c3b2f46f3ee89.png

Cheers,

-RalphAlpha111

That's the supported/base speed. When you enable XMP you're "overclocking" the memory above that. It will work but is more dependent on the motherboard than anything as to how easy it will be to hit those speeds and go even higher.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So let's say I want to rock an AMD Ryzen 5 5800X together with some 4x8 Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz,, running on an MSI B550 A-Pro, would that mean I would need to enable this A-XMP thing? Besides I thought it was Intel exclusive and this is an AMD MB.. my confusion deepens.

image.thumb.png.a91dc05f804fa9ce912bc8ed9f62d9a1.png

Just now, RalphAlpha111 said:

So let's say I want to rock an AMD Ryzen 5 5800X together with some 4x8 Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz,, running on an MSI B550 A-Pro, would that mean I would need to enable this A-XMP thing? Besides I thought it was Intel exclusive and this is an AMD MB.. my confusion deepens.

image.thumb.png.a91dc05f804fa9ce912bc8ed9f62d9a1.png

So AMD calls it DOCP in the BIOS (or at least Asus does) but it's basically AMD's XMP. Running more sticks of RAM tends to be more taxing on the memory controller but you should be fine running 4 sticks at 3600MHz no issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So AMD calls it DOCP in the BIOS (or at least Asus does) but it's basically AMD's XMP. Running more sticks of RAM tends to be more taxing on the memory controller but you should be fine running 4 sticks at 3600MHz no issues.

So to rephrase and put this in layman's terms.. this previously listed System Memory Spec. is just to say "Hey we support stuff that runs that speed and we actually work higher than that"

But alright, I will follow what ya say. I was considering going dual-channel anyhow, so yeah if you say I should be fine I should be fine. Probably. Thank you.