Raid3 2SSD +1HDD

martonsy
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, martonsy said:

I know the ssd-s would drop their performance, when i write, because of the HDD, but when i read, the PC read the data from the SSDs (I hope) or the hdd will a botleneck even at reading?

The HDD will also be read from, since the parity has to be verified.

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a raid3 setup with 2x 1TB SSD and 1x2TB HDD? 
Is it possible to define the hdd to be the parity disk, or the system gona choose randomly one of the 3drive?

(for me the writing speed is not critical, but I need the extra reed speed and safety what a raid3 can provide compare to a single drive)

raid3.png

6 minutes ago, martonsy said:

but I need the extra reed speed

Are you entirely sure? RAID3 is only useable for long sequential reads/writes and suffers terribly with any random and/or short IO.

9 minutes ago, martonsy said:

Is it possible to define the hdd to be the parity disk, or the system gona choose randomly one of the 3drive?

Depends entirely on the software or hardware you use. That said, the data has to be read from or written to all the drives and all the drives have to work in lockstep, so the SSDs'  performance would be dropped down to the HDD's level.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Depends entirely on the software or hardware you use. That said, the data has to be read from or written to all the drives and all the drives have to work in lockstep, so the SSDs'  performance would be dropped down to the HDD's level.

I know the ssd-s would drop their performance, when i write, because of the HDD, but when i read, the PC read the data from the SSDs (I hope) or the hdd will a botleneck even at reading?

1 minute ago, martonsy said:

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Then it is perfectly pointless to mix ssd and hdd in raid 3,4,5, I would only waist some good ssd

Thank you for your kind support!