backup, etc.

Florian11

So if i buy a SSD, i will have to make backups. But which Programm allows me to Format, clone\mirror hard drives that doesnt cost money and can be run on Windows

AOMEI Backupper. Easily the best backup tool I've used in the last while.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Or you can look into Bittorent sync, I haven't used it myself but I have heard good things. Also are you the type to only backup your Home folder or system files too?

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

I use clonezilla and it is free.  It uses a bootable usb stick so it doesn't run "in" windows.  But it can backup or clone just about any system including windows systems.

http://clonezilla.org/

I was trying Ghost, but for some reason it wouldn't work in my windows 8 machine, but worked fine in my win 7 machine, so beware of that...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Or you can look into Bittorent sync, I haven't used it myself but I have heard good things. Also are you the type to only backup your Home folder or system files too?

As I was going to say, if you only backup your home folder I like Dropbox because for $10 a month it can sync to another machine and gives you 100GB in the cloud. So in the words of Leo Laporte you've then got one backup off site, and another locally. So if that machine fails you have a machine nearby that you can quickly just copy the files from or just sign into Dropbox and it'll automatically download all those files. Dropbox also supports downloading them over LAN so it won't even impact your internet speeds in some cases. Plus it backs up every file as you add it to your Dropbox folder without you even having to think about it.

The only downside I know of to using it is that there is no "Versioning" so once you delete it on one machine it's gone from all three. Which in my experience isn't as big of an issue as it sounds because you probably aren't going to delete something important, then you wouldn't really  have a backup of it now would you? But to overcome this maybe use another automated piece of software that will on the second machine that has Dropbox clone the Dropbox folder to another drive for example FBackup (http://download.cnet.com/FBackup/3000-2242_4-10907579.html). So you now have 3 backups and a time machine.

Or just use FBackup to clone your main drive to a secondary or I think it also supports backups over LAN. But that doesn't provide as much redundancy.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35