5600x temperatures

Hi guys! My new pc has just arrived, powered by the Ryzen 5 5600x (stock cooler) and I am a bit concerned about the temperatures.. Playing CSGO with FPS capped at 300 I've managed to maintain 65-67, which is fine. Removing the cap.. core temp shows a maximum of 79 degrees. I think that's not the average since the temperature after a quick alt+tab appears as 72-73 which seems to be fine as well. Is it a must to buy an after market cooler ? I do just gaming, no editing. Also, the ryzen master app shows a different score, like 5 degrees less than core temp. Which one is more accurate ? Since AMD made them both, I believe core temp is not what I'm looking for.

Hello there!
I have a 5800, but can verify the common opinion of zen 3 ryzen running very hot.

Stock cooling might be a little weak for these cpu in general...

It seems like they only output the maximal temperature measured at one of the 20+ temperature sensors.
CSGO uses as far as I know not all cores, quite few if I am right.
So possibly only few cores with a lot of load could reach that temperature.

I am not an CPU architecture expert, so take that as an educated guess based on experiences 😉 

Did you check if the some cores tend to clock higher while gaming? Maybe it shows some cores under heavy load.

In general, everything under 80°C should be quite ok.

fyi I use "HWMonitor" for monitoring at the moment ^^

80c is just about what its designed (you can see it in AMD website).

CPU can work fine up to 100c.

I say you keep the cooler for now.

If you wanna buy one i recommend Hyper 212, cheap and good performer.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, Cristian Pavel said:

Hi guys! My new pc has just arrived, powered by the Ryzen 5 5600x (stock cooler) and I am a bit concerned about the temperatures.. Playing CSGO with FPS capped at 300 I've managed to maintain 65-67, which is fine. Removing the cap.. core temp shows a maximum of 79 degrees. I think that's not the average since the temperature after a quick alt+tab appears as 72-73 which seems to be fine as well. Is it a must to buy an after market cooler ? I do just gaming, no editing. Also, the ryzen master app shows a different score, like 5 degrees less than core temp. Which one is more accurate ? Since AMD made them both, I believe core temp is not what I'm looking for.

ryzen master is known for being slightly inaccurate.

Anyway, anything below 80 is great.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Thanks all for replies. I am gonna keep the cooler for now, it seems fine running 70-73 degrees while gaming. I am coming from an intel i5 7400 which averages 50 degrees so I was a bit worried :). Have a nice day ❤️