Dell Optiplex 760

skiibii

Hello all.

I am currently working on restoring a Dell Optiplex 760, which is pretty old. I keep seeing all of these videos of people restoring them though. I'm trying to get it to be able to do some gaming and normal school work for my brother.

Here are it's specs:

image.png.9ca14fdf63ba9f3d6e8a9fc44f43c61e.png (it has no GPU or integrated graphics. It has a pcie x16 slot also. I know what storage i have, but don't know the wattage of the power supply.)

Its really hard to find the best CPU that I can put in this, and the chipset is intel q45/q43 express chipset. I think i heard somewhere that dell didn't validate some of the CPUs that the chipset did, and I don't really know. 

If you need any more info, let me know.

What I'm trying to find is a good GPU to put in this oldie. I'm not really that good at looking for things like that. I'm in Ontario, Canada. The price range is around 250 dollars CAD or less.

Also, what is the best CPU that this thing can support? the dual core processor isn't very good. 

Thanks in advance, and if you have any advice or videos that can help me, it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, skiibii said:

Hello all.

I am currently working on restoring a Dell Optiplex 760, which is pretty old. I keep seeing all of these videos of people restoring them though. I'm trying to get it to be able to do some gaming and normal school work for my brother.

Here are it's specs:

image.png.9ca14fdf63ba9f3d6e8a9fc44f43c61e.png (it has no GPU or integrated graphics. It has a pcie x16 slot also. I know what storage i have, but don't know the wattage of the power supply.)

Its really hard to find the best CPU that I can put in this, and the chipset is intel q45/q43 express chipset. I think i heard somewhere that dell didn't validate some of the CPUs that the chipset did, and I don't really know. 

What I'm trying to find is a good GPU to put in this oldie. I'm not really that good at looking for things like that. I'm in Ontario, Canada. The price range is around 250 dollars CAD or less.

Also, what is the best CPU that this thing can support? the dual core processor isn't very good. 

Thanks in advance, and if you have any advice or videos that can help me, it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

The cpus for this socket (775) are all pretty cheap, you could get something in the Q8000 or Q9000 series, there are plenty of lesser cpus for this socket as well. HOWEVER I found a thread that says that the cpu you can put on it depends on the form factor (due to psu limitations, see here: https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Processor-Upgrade-For-Optiplex-760/td-p/6231849 ) I used to play on a Q6600 back in 2008 and I remember playing GTA IV (although I cannot remember the fps but it was playable.

As for a gpu, you are limited by the psu, should be something around 240w. But I did see some people recommending the gt 1030

finally escaped fm2+

14 minutes ago, skiibii said:

Hello all.

Here are it's specs:

But make sure you get the gddr5 version!

Depending on your model Core 2 Quads are validated for this system... Depends on your form factor (Diff form factors had diff PSU's) 

Here the compatibility list (Pic below)

I would go with a gddr5 1030 (try to get the active cooled version) (GET GDDR5)

That's my recommendation for the info I have (If you check the list, and you have anything other than the USSF (Ultra Small Form Factor) you can use a Core2 Quad)459838695_Screenshot2021-01-19at1_26_50PM.thumb.png.05e0d1e69812c6fb26b4f725dca0f15d.png

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

Depending on your model Core 2 Quads are validated for this system... Depends on your form factor (Diff form factors had diff PSU's) 

That's my recommendation for the info I have (If you check the list, and you have anything other than the USSF (Ultra Small Form Factor) you can use a Core2 Quad)459838695_Screenshot2021-01-19at1_26_50PM.thumb.png.05e0d1e69812c6fb26b4f725dca0f15d.png

really helpful. is this the type of gpu that will work?

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=107934

On 1/19/2021 at 1:30 PM, SignatureSigner said:

Thanks a lot again, I have a question. I found someone that i can buy a q8200 quad, but what does that x mean under the MT, DT, and SFF? Does it mean those ones are incompatible? (I have a SFF, by the way.)

24 minutes ago, skiibii said:

Thanks a lot again, I have a question. I found someone that i can buy a q8200 quad, but what does that x mean under the MT, DT, and SFF? Does it mean those ones are incompatible? (I have a SFF, by the way.)

So, if I read the sheet correctly (source btw (just ctrl+f and search for gsp to find the cpu list: https://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/products/optix/optix_760_tech_guide.pdf) it seems as if X means it does work. I found some threads on the dell forum that say the supported cpus (https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Processor-upgrade-optiplex-760-sff/td-p/4090799)

From that thread:

OptiPlex 760 SFF supports Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, Q9650, Q9400, Q8300, Q8200, Intel Core2 Duo E8600, E8500, E8400, E8300, E7300 E7200 and E6550 processors.

There is also this thread which seems to detail what the sheet means:

finally escaped fm2+