GTA 5 poor CPU performance?

Hi All, since jumping back on GTA after over a year since I last played... something isn't right. I used to play on an FX6100 and R9 280x and remember getting solid 50-60fps on medium ish settings. I'm now on a 3570k @4.4 and a 980 ti and GTA now runs like hot garbage. 30-40 fps with not much care on graphics settings. Spikes down to a stutter mess at times and and sometimes textures actually stop loading in as it waits for the CPU to catch up. CPU pegged at 100% all the time and GPU trotting along at around 50% to 75% usage depending on graphics settings.

I know the CPU will be bottlenecked in most games with the 980 Ti, but I don't get why GTA is running so badly compared to my weaker setup that I had over a year ago. I've verified that my 3570k is performing as it should with synthetic benchmarks, doesn't throttle down or anything. Tried taking it back to the stock speeds as well in case of some unknown stability issue with my overclock but still the same.

Has something in GTA changed? Or does GTA run twice as fast on weaker cores but more of them (like with my 6100?)

Tia, Duck

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

few important things, are you in story mode or online? how much ram? and it might be that your CPU is just not handeling it

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

few important things, are you in story mode or online? how much ram? and it might be that your CPU is just not handeling it

Online, 16GB. Was playing online before though with easy 50-60fps...

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

Just now, y3llowduk said:

Online, 16GB. Was playing online before though with easy 50-60fps...

Try offline, things change in online how long was it since you last tested the old rig?

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Try offline, things change in online how long was it since you last tested the old rig?

Over a year ago. Weirdly I've seen some other threads online on other sites of the exact same issue. Even users upgrading from 9xx to 10xx and actually seeing a drop in performance, on the same CPU.

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

1 minute ago, y3llowduk said:

Over a year ago. Weirdly I've seen some other threads online on other sites of the exact same issue. Even users upgrading from 9xx to 10xx and actually seeing a drop in performance, on the same CPU.

Well the fact you did a test before the newest update could be something, or it could be what you looked at did it ever get solved?

Reminder⚠️