SSD

Huwster

Hey I'm building my first PC and had a question about the ssd. With the SSD would it be better to get a Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive and Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive so I get 2.5TB of storage for around £100 rather than Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive for around the same price or is better for performance to get a larger NVME SSD?

Get a 100gb ssd as a boot drive and the hard drive for games and stuff

Just now, berhd said:

Do this if you're stuck in year 2010...

SSD's are so cheap now not going with 1TB SSD is just foolish. If you need more capacity and you're on a budget, buy a 500GB SSD, PrimoCache and pair it to a something like 4TB HDD. It'll have 4TB of storage with near SSD speed across entire 4TB.

3 minutes ago, berhd said:

He's not on a $250 budget, I think he can manage more than 100GB

Do they even sell 100GB SSDS anymore?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I go for SSD + HDD combo, 1TB is very small for a single drive.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just like RejZoR says, a 1TB M.2 drive for windwos / boot drive (can be Gen3 or Gen4) and at a push a 500GB as min. 

you can also get a second M.2 drive for storage if you want, as you can still get SATA M.2 drives or Gen3 nvme M.2 at good prices.  

if you really want a bigger and better value pure storage drive (2.5" or 3.5")  at least look into the SSHD from Seagate, (hybrid drive) 

my goodness berhd we are not in year 2011 now, where have you been. 

I've got a 250GB SSD for my boot drive (yes, I know), used exclusively for Windows.  I also have two 2TB HDDs, one for family stuff and the other for gaming.

I'm looking to build a new system soon (got my eye on the 011D mini) and intend to pick up 1TB M.2 for Windows, 2TB M.2 for gaming and a 4TB SSHD for family stuff.  It purely boils down to what you want and need for yourself.