Introducing Android for wearables!

Ahead of the release of Apple’s much rumored “iWatch” wearable product, Google has now officially announced Android’s entrance into wearables with project “Android Wear.” The Android Wear SDK allows developers to integrate a number of features into Android powered wearables and relies heavily on Google Now functionality, as we were first to report late last year.

Google also confirmed that it’s working with a handful of partners to bring Android Wear powered wearables to market by later this year:

This is a Developer preview video by Google to showing off Android for wearables. They also released the SDK.

Here's a Android Wear ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqZl2QIz0c

Asus, HTC, LG, Motorola and Samsung; chip makers Broadcom, Imagination, Intel, Mediatek and Qualcomm; and fashion brands like the Fossil Group to bring you watches powered by Android Wear later this year.’

What can developers do with Android Wear? Google says the devices will be capable of displaying, for example, the latest posts and updates from social and messaging apps, answers via “OK Google” voice commands and Google Now-like functionality, as well as a number of fitness and health related data points. Google is also allowing Android Wear devices to talk with other devices like your phone or Chrome device through voice commands:trans.gif?m=1207340914g

Last year, we were first to report that Google was planning on releasing wearables that would heavily rely on Google Now functionality. Another hint came when Google picked up WIMM Labs last year, a company that was building a slick Android based smartwatch SDK.

Your key to a multiscreen world. Android Wear lets you access and control other devices from your wrist. Just say “Ok Google” to fire up a music playlist on your phone, or cast your favorite movie to your TV. There’s a lot of possibilities here so we’re eager to see what developers build.

Google is releasing a developer preview starting today that can be downloaded from developer.android.com/wear that will allow devs to bring features from their existing Android apps to to smartwatches

This looks amazing. The reference design looks classy as well as modern. The only problem I'm worried about is the battery life especially with that gorgeous screen and always on Google Now.

Google's Smart Watch and Apple's iWatch are the only two wearables I genuinely excited for....... :)

UPDATE: Motorola announced their Android powered Moto 360, 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/128944-motorola-announces-android-powered-moto-360-smartwatch/

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/18/google-releases-android-wear-sdk-developer-preview-watches-from-lg-others-due-next-quarter/

I really wish I wasn't tethered to my phone right now because the thumbnail is tempting me to click and watch the video

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I hope Google doesn't let manufacturers ruin this with awful skins, though as Samsung is using Tizen, we don't have to worry about them...
and that round screen on the Moto 360 looks Incredible - I'm jealous of all you US folks!

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

wow im so excited i was holding off buying a pebble steel because i really want the android watch. plus that looks great

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I have 1 pretty major complaint about Android Wear... Why did they make voice commands such a big part of it? Not only does voice commands barely work in languages other than English, but it's also not something you want to do in public. I cringed when the guy in the video sat on a train and said out loud what he wanted in his text message.

WOW!! I never thought i would say this but i want one! This is what the smart watch should of been in the first place!

Great functionality. Then need to get this to market soon!!!

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

It looks great!!! I hope it wont be really expenise and cost will be as much as buying a new phone.

I really wish I wasn't tethered to my phone right now because the thumbnail is tempting me to click and watch the video

What does it matter that you are tethering?

What does it matter that you are tethering?

Data is nearly used up for the month. I really wish my aunt didn't convince my mom to switch to the share plan. Sure it's cheaper but I go through data extremely quick at work. I'd still have unlimited right now :(

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Data is nearly used up for the month. I really wish my aunt didn't convince my mom to switch to the share plan. Sure it's cheaper but I go through data extremely quick at work. I'd still have unlimited right now :(

Lol! There is still datacaps in 2014?

There are still data caps for 3G and 4G

There are still data caps for 3G and 4G

Goddamm what shitty countries you must live in...

Goddamm what shitty countries you must live in...

There are unlimited plan options, but they are really expensive and plus no one needs so much data on the go since most of us only use facebook, twitter, whatsapp and maybe some few websites

On phones here in the US by Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T, yes. They bend you over and go in raw. Serious. I'm thankful I'm not paying my share of the bill though so I don't have the right to complain.

Some renders for you guys:

m3_verge_super_wide.png

bw1.jpg

If it's sub $300 I could see myself buying this eventually. $200 is an insta-buy. 

Great that Google is working on a wearable Android version. It is great since their firmwares will be developer friendly and easy to mod. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

• 4 weeks later...

It looks great with the metal band. I'm glad google got into this, so we don't have to deal with whatever closed interface the manufacturer decides to use. It'll also let traditional watch companies that want to get into this make a watch and just load up a standard software, rather than having to develop something.

| i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz | GSkill Trident Z 32GB RAM | EVGA 1080Ti Black | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB |
| Fractal Design Meshify C | Noctua NH-D14S | 2x Samsung C27JG50Q 1440p 144Hz |