OS for Virtualization

Go to solution Solved by proginge,

The easiest way to do this would be to just use windows 10 and enable hyper-V, although this doesn't outwardly change anything to the user it actually moves the windows os to run on the hyper-V hypervisor. That way you can run ubuntu in a vm that also runs on the hyper-V hyper visor simultaneously. So in reality you computer is running Hyper-V as the OS and running windows 10 and Ubuntu on top of it.

Hello everyone, 

I want a OS that is as light as possible for me to run windows 10 and a Ubuntu instance on a VM. What are the recommended OS? Currently I'm looking at ESXi and/or proxmox so anyone with experience with these can you please review it.

I would prefer an easy to use solution but I'm fine with ones that require programming/CLI control  

Thanks!

*Edit: I need it to work on 1 device and also need GUI to work 

The easiest way to do this would be to just use windows 10 and enable hyper-V, although this doesn't outwardly change anything to the user it actually moves the windows os to run on the hyper-V hypervisor. That way you can run ubuntu in a vm that also runs on the hyper-V hyper visor simultaneously. So in reality you computer is running Hyper-V as the OS and running windows 10 and Ubuntu on top of it.

Do you really need VM?  As you can run Ubuntu in Windows 10 now, using WSL 2, It lot more easy to deal with them Hype-V or VMs.   

Have look at this https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/ubuntu-on-windows#1-overview

and here on getting GUI working. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-dev-appconsult/running-wsl-gui-apps-on-windows-10/ba-p/1493242