A locked desktop CPU

Noob872

Hello, I have a desktop that has a i5-9400 not the f version. I also have a laptop with a i7-8665u, which i recently undervolted using xtu software. It really helped the temps and wanted to do the same for my desktop as I wanted to bring down the temperature. However, when I went into xtu on my desktop, I could not change the voltage on the cpu. Is this because this is a desktop cpu, as the laptop cpu is also locked but it lets me undervolt. if anyone has any solutions to this that allows me to undervolted my cpu that would be great. 

Why would you want to reduce temps on the desktop? The 9400 doesn't produce that much heat, and if you just want less noise you can set the CPU fan to be quieter in the BIOS.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Why would you want to reduce temps on the desktop? The 9400 doesn't produce that much heat, and if you just want less noise you can set the CPU fan to be quieter in the BIOS.

I have a dell prebuilt, which has a intel stock cooler. this means that I cannot change anything like fan speed in the bios. The temps are around 80 when gaming. 

Just now, Noob872 said:

I have a dell prebuilt, which has a intel stock cooler. this means that I cannot change anything like fan speed in the bios. The temps are around 80 when gaming. 

80 while gaming is certainly not concerning if that was what you wanted to change most.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

XTU should allow you to change the voltage offset, can you post a screen shot of XTU to see what's going on?

I don't no if you can see but the volatges are grayed out

Capture.PNG

Just now, Fasauceome said:

80 while gaming is certainly not concerning if that was what you wanted to change most.

i mean i guess but if i can and its easy i would be good to reduce the temp.

Just now, Noob872 said:

i mean i guess but if i can and its easy i would be good to reduce the temp.

You wouldn't get any benefit from reducing the temp, because it's well within safe parameters, so going out of your way to tune the CPU voltage would be a bit pointless

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

You wouldn't get any benefit from reducing the temp, because it's well within safe parameters, so going out of your way to tune the CPU voltage would be a bit pointless

I see that, but since it is a dell prebuilt the air flow is honderdous, so think that my cpu being a lot lower can allow my gpu to get cooler air but ya it might be pointless but i still want to try it out if it is possible. 

@Noob872 Software CPU voltage control has been disabled on many computers this year. A pre-built Dell likely has this feature locked. 

You can using ThrottleStop. Open the FIVR window and have a look to see if your CPU is Locked. If this is the case, voltage control is not possible.

74yemEf.png

Using XTU or ThrottleStop to increase the 65W Turbo Boost Power Max value can increase full load performance. I am surprised that Dell did not lock this value too.