WiFi Antenna

PedroAssuncao20
Go to solution Solved by Kon-Tiki,

You need an antenna with a SMA connector if you want to continue using your onboard WiFi. A "USB antenna" in the sense of it only being an antenna connecting to your onboard wireless card does not exist. Instead those "antennas" are actually USB WiFi cards with the card built into the antenna itself.

Go for whichever option you like best but if your onboard card works you could just as well get an Antenna with SMA connector and continue using it (should be more reliable than a USB connected one).

Edit: There are also antennas connecting right to the SMA connector on your card without a cable, might be worth a look.

Hello guys.
I have an relatively old PC, all original parts. I'm going to start updating some hardware for better performance, but I also need to replace the WiFi antenna because of some wires starting to become exposed.
I would love to have a LAN connection but the router is to far a way from the room where the PC is so it is not an option. 
I'm not that a big online gamer, so my internet is for more basic use.
My motherboard is a M11AD and it comes with a WiFi card with SMA connectors. Do I need to replace the existent antenna with a similar one with the same connection or will a USB connection antenna work?

Thanks!

Would you be against a pcie wifi card? That would likely work best.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

You need an antenna with a SMA connector if you want to continue using your onboard WiFi. A "USB antenna" in the sense of it only being an antenna connecting to your onboard wireless card does not exist. Instead those "antennas" are actually USB WiFi cards with the card built into the antenna itself.

Go for whichever option you like best but if your onboard card works you could just as well get an Antenna with SMA connector and continue using it (should be more reliable than a USB connected one).

Edit: There are also antennas connecting right to the SMA connector on your card without a cable, might be worth a look.