Dual System

scottiecb19

Hi All,

I'm looking for help with a possible dual system build (and hence ideas for xmas gifts). I already have both systems built, first is a 3900x on an MSI Ace MB, AIO with a 1080 also watercooled (built-in). The second system is a 3600 on a MSI m-ATX board, used as a storage/backup/media server. Hence it has (currently) 4x3.5HDD, and a GTX1050. Both also have RAID cards on them for external SSD/HDD. I know sensibly it would be better to keep them in separate cases, especially as the server one is the Fractal Design Node 804, which has loads of space for storage. I wanted a new challenge though, and this seemed a good one, plus it would free up some space having one case instead of two. I've been looking at the Phanteks Enthoo 719, this being the best for space/looks (as I like a little RGB), but I also recognise that I will need another PSU, especially as I was also considering upgrading my primary system to a 3070/3080 (when stocks reappear). In the UK where I am, dual system cases and bigger PSU's seem to be more limited, and p&p from the US or elsewhere would be cost prohibitive. However, I feel nervous at taking the plunge with this, especially if I find that a dual system case is not sufficient for my needs. So I thought I would seek the advice of those who had dealt with dual system cases before, and get your good guidance on it.

Thank you all for reading and your responses, and I hope you are all safe and well.  

Gday Scottie,

I feel your pain, i have been struggling with the same question, and eventually came to the conclusion i'm sticking with 2 seperate builds.

The main reason is that there is always a tradeoff in dual system cases. A Dual PSU with a Dual system case is near impossible to obtain (or so it seems), which means you'll have to buy a dual system psu. With a 3080 in the planning, that also means the 1000watt version won't be enough, so getting the phanteks 1600 will cost quite a bit, i think i would have to pay almost 300 bucks for it.

Next to the cost of this, eventually you will also run into issues with expansion. especally in the storage section. 

If you don't care about the budget and just want to stick with the 4 hdd's you currently have, a phanteks revoltx 1600w, with an enthoo 2 could work.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Thanks Caennanu, appreciate the input there. The other case is the Obsidian 1000D, but at almost £500, that's a serious investment. I really enjoy PC building, and have tried to get into the software side, virtual machines, server setups etc, but it's the hardware side that interests me more. Sadly this is the more expensive side too. A dual system seemed the natural progression with my two systems, maybe it's not the most sensible idea, but that's what I fancied doing.