CPU fan question.

Steve89

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mQWx2V is my current parts list
Budget (including currency):
 2,700 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Path of Exile, WoW, general streaming and light programming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  I have bought everything on the list, minus the 3070 and was trying to figure out what to use as my cpu fan. I should mention it's been about 11 years since my last build so I'm a tad rusty. I was thinking about using the Dark Rock 3 for my fan, but I'm worried about it blocking the first two ram slots. I know the Dark Rock 4 is listed as compatible with my motherboard, but I always get the stupid physical dimensions note at the bottom of the pc parts picker page (I'm assuming that's just standard at this point). 

ur system seems a bit overkill for what u plan to do with it. but aside from that, ur best bet is to check the exact dimensions of the cooler. but seeing as u are getting lpx ram, i dont think there would be a problem honestly. while on the topic of ram however, is there not a 4x8 kit? as i see u carted out 2(2x8) kits. but i mean if u really wanted to get rid of the problem altogether, u could go with an aio

im pretty sure u should be fine with ur lpx ram, but im not 100%. also yeah the pcpartpicker ram cooler dimension warming is basically always listed.

Edited by Sinsanatis

Not a fan of the Wraith Prism? Didn't that come with your 3700x CPU?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

4 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Not a fan of the Wraith Prism? Didn't that come with your 3700x CPU?

i mean theres nothing wrong with wanting an aftermarket cooler, especially if hes willing to shell out the money for it. and he does seem to have some wiggle room in the budget so why not

When I was buying the parts there weren't any 4x 8 kits in stock so I ended up just going with the kits I could find at the time. I haven't yet used the wraith prism, but everything I have read said that it was loud. I figured more cooling could never be a bad thing. I looked into aios but there were a lot of comments about leaks and such. As someone who's never used an AIO I was unsure if they were true or just paranoia. If the risk of lisks isn't nearly as bad as people have said I'd gladly go that route, it would definitely save me the headache of worrying about clearance.

Use the stock cooler. It's not that hard to change if you decide if isn't doing the job.

Otherwise consider the Noctua NH-U12S. The Chromax Black model costs a bit more but usually looks better.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.