Tablet dilemma

BaconPie

Hi fellow tech people! I wanna get a tablet for home use, but I want it to last quite a few years.

I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite for around 330 usd, iPad 8 (128gb) for 455 usd, and the iPad Air 4, that's for 625.

I'd like to go with the Tab for the price, and still decent features, but I'm just not too sure about the longevity of it. Had an iPad 4, that was really great so I have more faith in those, but they are much more expensive.

What's your take on it? :)

I'd suggest going for the iPad, The Tab S6 Lite is also a solid choice but when speaking of longevity, generally speaking iPad and iPhones get software updates for a longer time than android counterparts.

In my experience Ipads last longer than android tablets. I only watch the odd video and do some work in the train so I can't really comment on more demanding tasks long-term. I personally would go for an Ipad if your budget allows it. Lets see if other users have more insight ;)

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I'd suggest going for the iPad, The Tab S6 Lite is also a solid choice but when speaking of longevity, generally speaking iPad and iPhones get software updates for a longer time than android counterparts.

2 minutes ago, f1ght43v3r said:

In my experience Ipads last longer than android tablets. I only watch the odd video and do some work in the train so I can't really comment on more demanding tasks long-term. I personally would go for an Ipad if your budget allows it. Lets see if other users have more insight ;)

That's the thing, if I'd have to pick one for today, s6 would win easy. BUT. I've always had android phones, and while I love android, none of them lasted longer than 3 years. Would be an easier choice if the damn iPad would come with a 64 gb base model, but apple gotta be apple I guess 🤑

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

In what way? Do they shut down and never turn on again?

General usability, serious battery issues, crashes, this kind of stuff. To be fair before my pervious phone (Galaxy S6) was in the best condition after 3 years, but at that point it had no software support whatsoever, and would've had to spend money on it to get another year out of it, so instead I've upgraded to my current S8. :)

Hello And greetings to everyone:

14 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Tried a factory reset to fix software related issues? Battery is going to get worn after years of use, no matter what you get.

I used to have android tablets and for that fact phones too,the reason why i just do not go with android anymore (even doh i still use an android phone) they just do not last as long as apple devices does last year i went and threw my android Samsung tablet away because of the heavy use (and when i mean heavy use is 5 to 6 hours a day) it did not hold a charge was getting warm even when using basic stuff it would try to melt down.

besides the fact that did not have security updates wich is important to me,it had to go sadly, because i honestly do not mind sticking with devices that do not have constant updates what we need are security updates wich are the important ones and i just was not up to it anymore losing my devices security after 2 or 3 years of use,

something that does not happen as often with apple devices in fact my dad has his old iphone 6 bought new when they got released on 2015 was given to my brother because it has slight issues i just simply myself could not handle and for almost 6 years running and still has security updates even doh i cannot upgrade the os to 14 is still great at this day and does not show slowness on the device. 

So what did i went with as a tablet i went and got myself a microsoft surface go it has its 1 year and to mention also my dad has the same one and that one is going to 3 years on january and i love that little monster its powerful,has security updates,decent battery life,windows hello (wich i love),front facing and rear camera that are decent quality,magnetic power cable "magsafe" style and to go as far as i can i needed to do a school livestream because i left my laptop that day not knowing that we had an event and it worked just fine it handled it like a champ and i might go as far as to say that it did better than my laptop and i love it.and its definetly worth the 300 or 400 bucks for it.

Also im still using a lg phoenix 3 the screen is almost dead screen pixels have died and now i have what it looks like a crack but its dead pixels going from top to bottom corner and the battery,camera,slowness of it and the fact that does not have a update since 2018 from a os released in 2015 its got to GTFO soon im planning to upgrade for my birthday wich is on january.

Also quick note i do not want any android device with a micro usb port i hate that thing so bad i think my apple ipod original cable works better than that one and have gone thru almost 7 cables in 2 years for that piece of crap and im trying to aim for a iphone se 2020.