Pc overheating?? shutdown issues

ducky 2 mini
Go to solution Solved by ducky 2 mini,

My issue was due to thermal application on the XFX Thicc ultra iii Rx 5700XT , I applied liquid metal to the dye and resulted in a whopping -30C Dye temp. I was previously shutting down due to thermal limits of 100C. I am very disappointed that a $420 card couldn't apply $1-2 more to thermal paste.

Before:

2.thumb.jpg.f7fc552b79d73a64e1acaa84fa0d62ef.jpg

After:

1.thumb.jpg.2b9c95f566d6bacc5f1bc3177db0bad5.jpg

Capture.PNG.2ed4d553dc6c1000a92323e916337b07.PNG

There are my pc specs, I currently have my rx5700xt running at 2041MHz at 1068 V, its temp gets as high as 73 C but the junction can get as high as 93 C on furmark.

My cpu doesnt get above 80C, I have my ram at 3600 with a slight overvolt (it is an out of the box XMP oc, so I am almost 100% that isnt it).

I have felt my psu and it get toasty. idk what to do about that or if that is the issue, my psu is a TT "smart" 600W 80+ white? W/active PFC

I game on this rig, and it is a very expensive buy for this to be happening, I constantly monitor my temps and they are 100% fine on my pcu and gpu.

all of the parts are basically new within 5months, the psu is newer, idk if it was like this after the psu was installed unfortunately.

anything will help- thank you

It never cuts the power, it only reboots into the login screen.

4 minutes ago, ducky 2 mini said:

There are my pc specs, I currently have my rx5700xt running at 2041MHz at 1068 V, its temp gets as high as 73 C but the junction can get as high as 93 C on furmark.

It never cuts the power, it only reboots into the login screen.

Does this happen still with ONLY the GPU back to stock clocks?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Does this happen still with ONLY the GPU back to stock clocks?

yes actually worse

its an undervolt

Just now, ducky 2 mini said:

yes actually worse

Could very well be the PSU..

Id like to think your combination shouldnt make a 600w PSU "Toasty" and you say it is...

That feels iffy to me but witbout a spare its hard to test I can't obviously say for sure...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Could very well be the PSU..

Id like to think your combination shouldnt make a 600w PSU "Toasty" and you say it is...

That feels iffy to me but witbout a spare its hard to test I can't obviously say for sure...

is there a way to increase the fan speed on my psu. it has a "ultra quiet fan" inside of it, when feeling around that was "hottest" spot of the pc

I actually had a seasonic psu that was used for mining inside before, my pc had issues then but not the same as now. it might be where it is placed? i have a fractal design mini C

2 minutes ago, ducky 2 mini said:

is there a way to increase the fan speed on my psu. it has a "ultra quiet fan" inside of it, when feeling around that was "hottest" spot of the pc

Is your PSU mounted with the fan down under the case or sharing airspace with the GPU?

If shared with GPUspace, and you have case airflow holes under the case for PSU fan intake then maybe flip the PSU over.

Rare for PSU fans to be controlled, some PSU models allow it but ithat feature isnt mainstream.

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Is your PSU mounted with the fan down under the case or sharing airspace with the GPU?

If shared with GPUspace, and you have case airflow holes under the case for PSU fan intake then maybe flip the PSU over.

so it does share with the gpu. i will flip it and let you know the results thank you

My issue was due to thermal application on the XFX Thicc ultra iii Rx 5700XT , I applied liquid metal to the dye and resulted in a whopping -30C Dye temp. I was previously shutting down due to thermal limits of 100C. I am very disappointed that a $420 card couldn't apply $1-2 more to thermal paste.

Before:

2.thumb.jpg.f7fc552b79d73a64e1acaa84fa0d62ef.jpg

After:

1.thumb.jpg.2b9c95f566d6bacc5f1bc3177db0bad5.jpg

Such an Improvement, great job there bud, pity about the stock paste, XFX with a bit of a gong show moment looking at those temps.

-30*c should make it a whole new beast with less fans, less temp power leakage and zero thermal triggerings.