GPU compatibility with old PC

jasim

I really don't know how people claim that they can upgrade their old pc with new GPU such as GTX16** or RTX 20**. What I mean by old pc I mean PC produced in 2012 or older with their legacy bios. From my research I found that in order to upgrade to new gen GPU you need to change bios mode to UEFI in order to have the graphic card works which it's not possible because UEFI is only exist in 2013 or newer pc. so for upgrading my Dell XPS 8300 am I only stuck with GTX 10** or

there is a specific setting to make new gen GPU compatible with old motherboards? I'm sorry if this looks dump but, I'm really I noob when it comes PC build. Please help with this matter and correct me if I'm wrong.

From the 1000 series and onwards uefi was a requirement. But uefi started appearing in boards around 2005. I mean there is a reason people are running even new cards in core 2 systems and that is that eufi has existed long before 2012.

So yes you technically can upgrade your xps to whatever. HOWEVER the big question here is is it worth it and can the psu handle the upgrade. If yours is running a i7 2600 and has a decent new psu in it then sure go for it and get a good used card. The 2600 is still a 60fps cpu. So don't get too expensive of a card and might as well get a good used deal.