Help Upgrading PC!

JackT22

Budget (including currency): $500 or less dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I mostly play FPS games like call of duty, league of legends. I am trying to get my pc where I want it before the release of the new halo next year.  

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

At this point I want to  play at 1080p without any problems. 

So I had my first pc built by a company that my dad knew, because I had no clue about anything with PC’s. Ever since I had that built, I have experienced many problems with my pc, crashing, giving file errors, and just not allowing me to run anything at decent frames. Later I found out they sold me an old graphics card used for bit coin and had to re-purchase one myself. 
I am currently using a GTX 1060 6gb card, and 16 gb of ram. This has allowed me to run my FPS games, and get okay results. I would say my goal is to move my entire build into an NZXT case, but don't know which case would work best for my parts. Also I would like to hear opinions on what GPU or CPU I should upgrade to if need be, and overall just a solid plan I can use to upgrade my PC.

If you have any further questions on my PC, I will gladly answer. 

3E9D470C-B4CE-450C-91A4-51ECDB072B54.png just need 

4 minutes ago, JackT22 said:

I would say my goal is to move my entire build into an NZXT case, but don't know which case would work best for my parts. Also I would like to here opinions on what GPU or CPU I should upgrade to if need be, and overall just a solid plan I can use to upgrade my PC.

playing at 1080p, 60fps? or do you plan on 144fps?

what speed is your ram? faster memory helps a lot for Ryzen, and a good first upgrade is 2x8GB of DDR4 3000, if you don't already have that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks for the response!

I think I would want to go up to 144hz if its realistic with most my parts now, The new ram I got was the ram you recommended, so I think I'm good in that sense. 

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

playing at 1080p, 60fps? or do you plan on 144fps?

what speed is your ram? faster memory helps a lot for Ryzen, and a good first upgrade is 2x8GB of DDR4 3000, if you don't already have that.

Thanks for the response!

I think I would want to go up to 144hz if its realistic with most my parts now, The new ram I got was the ram you recommended, so I think I'm good in that sense. 

2 minutes ago, JackT22 said:

Thanks for the response!

for 144fps gaming, a new CPU is recommended. the updated BIOS versions of that motherboard and a 3000 series Ryzen CPU are a good selection for your existing parts. You might want to start browsing for a used Ryzen 5 3600 on eBay or something to see if you can snatch a good deal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, JackT22 said:

Budget (including currency): $500 or less dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I mostly play FPS games like call of duty, league of legends. I am trying to get my pc where I want it before the release of the new halo next year.  

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

At this point I want to  play at 1080p without any problems. 

So I had my first pc built by a company that my dad knew, because I had no clue about anything with PC’s. Ever since I had that built, I have experienced many problems with my pc, crashing, giving file errors, and just not allowing me to run anything at decent frames. Later I found out they sold me an old graphics card used for bit coin and had to re-purchase one myself. 
I am currently using a GTX 1060 6gb card, and 16 gb of ram. This has allowed me to run my FPS games, and get okay results. I would say my goal is to move my entire build into an NZXT case, but don't know which case would work best for my parts. Also I would like to hear opinions on what GPU or CPU I should upgrade to if need be, and overall just a solid plan I can use to upgrade my PC.

If you have any further questions on my PC, I will gladly answer. 

3E9D470C-B4CE-450C-91A4-51ECDB072B54.png just need 

I'd get a Ryzen 3 3100, 2x8 3200mhz ram, and a RX 5600XT. A new PSU later down the line would be ideal aswell.

I'm not sure if moving too an NZXT case is a good idea, as they are known for having pretty bad airflow.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

I'd get a Ryzen 3 3100, 2x8 3200mhz ram, and a RX 5600XT. A new PSU later down the line would be ideal aswell.

I'm not sure if moving too an NZXT case is a good idea, as they are known for having pretty bad airflow.

What case would you recommend?  I'm mainly looking for a better looking case, one with a glass panel or something, I'm glad you said something, because I don't want to sacrifice performance for looks. 

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

for 144fps gaming, a new CPU is recommended. the updated BIOS versions of that motherboard and a 3000 series Ryzen CPU are a good selection for your existing parts. You might want to start browsing for a used Ryzen 5 3600 on eBay or something to see if you can snatch a good deal.

Makes sense, I was recommended to get that card before and think ill look for one. I'm not too familiar with upgrading BIOS versions, but I think I can figure it out. Any recommendations on a case? And is my graphics card good if i upgrade to a better CPU?

I'm not too familiar with upgrading BIOS versions, but I think I can figure it out.

plenty of youtube tutorials available just in case

Any recommendations on a case?

inexpensive cases with good airflow:

Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case (MX330-X) - PCPartPicker

Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (MATREXX 30) - PCPartPicker

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYp323/cougar-mx330-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330

3 minutes ago, JackT22 said:

And is my graphics card good if i upgrade to a better CPU?

decent, you can play a lot of games at medium/high and get over 100 fps

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

plenty of youtube tutorials available just in case

inexpensive cases with good airflow:

Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case (MX330-X) - PCPartPicker

Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (MATREXX 30) - PCPartPicker

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYp323/cougar-mx330-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330

decent, you can play a lot of games at medium/high and get over 100 fps

Final question, I shouldn't have any problems moving all my parts into one of these cases right? or do I need a case specifically for my type of mother board, etc?