Upgrade question

Izonedout

i currently have a ryzen 1700 and a gtx 1070. I’ve been considering getting a 3070 because I want to add ray tracing and treat myself to better graphics. My problem is I’m sure my 1700 will be a definite bottleneck right? To be clear I only really play 1080p and my monitor is 144hz. Is this going to be a horrible idea where I should get a new processor too? I’m just torn on if it would be a waste if I can’t get the performance. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Izonedout

An RTX 3070 is far more than you would need for 1080p 144fps. Instead, when the 3060 comes out, you might want to consider that instead.

If you are lacking fast ram you could spend the leftover money on that, or a new CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

57 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

An RTX 3070 is far more than you would need for 1080p 144fps. Instead, when the 3060 comes out, you might want to consider that instead.

If you are lacking fast ram you could spend the leftover money on that, or a new CPU.

I do eventually want to get a 1440p 144, would it still be to much? 

13 minutes ago, Izonedout said:

I do eventually want to get a 1440p 144, would it still be to much? 

would be decent. does your CPU get 144fps in the games you currently play? or at least, a satisfactory amount of frames?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

would be decent. does your CPU get 144fps in the games you currently play? or at least, a satisfactory amount of frames?

Yes it does

1 minute ago, Izonedout said:

Yes it does

then an upgraded GPU would be fine

Primary PC:

I threw a 6800xt at my slow ram and a 1700x and works great. Mostly max 165fps 1440p