External Display

Hi guys, 
My friend has the Asus GL703GE and he wants to buy an external display for gaming. 
Which port on his laptop should he connect his external display to?
I'm was thinking either mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter OR USB type-c 3.1 (gen 2) to DisplayPort so he can get a 144-165hz monitor ? 
Is one or the other better ? 
Thoughts ?  

21 minutes ago, Finalcountdown said:

Hi guys, 
My friend has the Asus GL703GE and he wants to buy an external display for gaming. 
Which port on his laptop should he connect his external display to?
I'm was thinking either mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter OR USB type-c 3.1 (gen 2) to DisplayPort so he can get a 144-165hz monitor ? 
Is one or the other better ? 
Thoughts ?  

Hdmi 2b or 2a would be good. Those will work with it best I think. DisplayPort can do the same hz usually but hdmi supports hdr in addition. Not sure about type c, I think it’s pretty good though.  I’m no expert on this stuff though.

33 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

Hdmi 2b or 2a would be good. Those will work with it best I think. DisplayPort can do the same hz usually but hdmi supports hdr in addition. Not sure about type c, I think it’s pretty good though.  I’m no expert on this stuff though.

His laptop Asus GL703GE only has HDMI 1.4 and that's only good for 120hz at 1080p. 
With the graphics card the laptop has GTX 1050Ti he is good to get a 1440p 144-165hz monitor for the game he plays CS:Source. 

3 minutes ago, Finalcountdown said:

His laptop Asus GL703GE only has HDMI 1.4 and that's only good for 120hz at 1080p. 
With the graphics card the laptop has GTX 1050Ti he is good to get a 1440p 144-165hz monitor for the game he plays CS:Source. 

I currently have a 144hz 1440p monitor and I use a DisplayPort 1.4, so I can say that that works good. I’m pretty sure DisplayPort 1.2 also will work though.

14 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

I currently have a 144hz 1440p monitor and I use a DisplayPort 1.4, so I can say that that works good. I’m pretty sure DisplayPort 1.2 also will work though.

Yup the laptop he has supports mini DisplayPort which is good for 165hz at 1440p. 
What I was wondering is mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter better ? OR USB type-c 3.1 (gen 2) to DisplayPort adapter better ? 

45 minutes ago, Finalcountdown said:

Yup the laptop he has supports mini DisplayPort which is good for 165hz at 1440p. 
What I was wondering is mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter better ? OR USB type-c 3.1 (gen 2) to DisplayPort adapter better ? 

I’m sorry but I don’t know, I think type c is supposed to be better but DisplayPort is more popular. I’m sorry I can’t give you a good answer but I don’t really know much about these, type c especially.

3 hours ago, ZonalThrone said:

I’m sorry but I don’t know, I think type c is supposed to be better but DisplayPort is more popular. I’m sorry I can’t give you a good answer but I don’t really know much about these, type c especially.

Thanks for trying to help ZonalThrone ! 
I appreciate it