Issues getting worse

Squashy

I put this PC together this year and it's never performed as well as expected. Most likely due to my ignorance of choosing a 32" 4k monitor. Now to the issues.

Running 3dMark 'Time Spy Extreme' CPU test I noticed what sounds like the CPU fan vary rpm with every new frame. Is this possible? The build seems to have power issues, I feel like the Mobo is going bad but I'm don't have a clue. The other day I attempted to run Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark and the entire computer died except for the RGB on the RAM. It was like someone pulled the plug from the wall. Nothing would respond, all fans stopped, Mobo RGB went out, except for the RAM RGB. The biggest issue is the 3dMark scores are slowly getting worse and worse. Best score was 4194 off a cold boot then this morning the same Profile from a cold boot 3900's. (GPU numbers were actually better) It's just been doing some odd things.

I have removed 2 sticks of ram thinking the CPU fan might be touching the RAM and remove some power load from the MOBO. Secondly I relocated the M.2 SSD to the lower slot thinking it might be a head issue. Third, I checked all the connectors, nothing binding or loose. 

I wanted to get some quality cables from CableMod but they don't support this power supply.

What is your opinions on what I should try next or replace?

AMD350032g.jpg

Fans ramping up and down is normal. Sometimes there are spikes in temperature, which are responded to by ramping the fan then the temperature drops and the fan speed drops with it. Rinse and repeat...

What are the specs? Have you monitored temperatures at all?

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

I've been trying to decide on a CPU cooler and thermal paste but figured if I had a heat issue it would show it's self differently.

I would suggest disassembling the computer, completely.. and rebuilding it carefully ensuring every power connection is solid, along with all mounting points.. and go from there.  Make sure no wires are pinched/etc..

2 minutes ago, Squashy said:

I've been trying to decide on a CPU cooler and thermal paste but figured if I had a heat issue it would show it's self differently.

Right, but there might not be enough pressure on the CPU for proper contact with the stock cooler. There may be poor coverage of thermal paste. Do a run of Cinebench or 3D Mark and see what temperatures are on the CPU and GPU.

What are your specs?

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

Fans ramping up and down is normal. Sometimes there are spikes in temperature, which are responded to by ramping the fan then the temperature drops and the fan speed drops with it. Rinse and repeat...

What are the specs? Have you monitored temperatures at all?

I never would have guessed the CPU fan would vary in RPM that fast. (Sounds like the fan rpm is changing due to the load the CPU is pulling rather than responding to instantaneous temperature fluctuations in the CPU.)

I never would have guessed the CPU fan would vary in RPM that fast. (Sounds like the fan rpm is changing due to the load the CPU is pulling rather than responding to instantaneous temperature fluctuations in the CPU.)

How often are we talking and how much are they changing RPM? For example is it ramping from say 40% to 80% and down again every second?

What are your temps?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, Squashy said:

ryzen cpus clocks and temps do jump up and down likes this. it is not uncommon. proper cooler,  proper amount of TIM, and how well that TIM spread will take care of it.

If not then your fans will jump of and down with the spikes and you have an issue with your cooler, mounting, and/or TIM application.

What cpu do you have?

Asus Prime x570-p

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

G.Skill F4-3600c16D-16GTZN

Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 750

Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Phanteks P600s

Asus Prime x570-p

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

G.Skill F4-3600c16D-16GTZN

Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 750

Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Phanteks P600s

asus motherboards will auto ramp fan to 100% if cpu is over 75c. so any spikes over 75c you'll hear the fan ramp up then back down after it below 75c. if your between 70c-80c your going to heard this alot. there are solutions, but i'll discuss that after we see what you temps are.

also the higher temp the less performance 

OK,,,, new error!! I just booted the PC and started 3Dmark. While starting 3dMark the fans started to ramp-up and then it killed all power! No blue screen,,, just black,,, it even turned the monitor off...

7 minutes ago, Squashy said:

I'm getting the unit booted to look at temps

please use hardware info to monitor your temps

Just now, Squashy said:

OK,,,, new error!! I just booted the PC and started 3Dmark. While starting 3dMark the fans started to ramp-up and then it killed all power! No blue screen,,, just black,,, it even turned the monitor off...

sounds like it thermal shutdown

make sure your cooler is tighten down properly. if you are sure take it off post a couple pics before cleaning off the paste.

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

make sure your cooler is tighten down properly. if you are sure take it off post a couple pics before cleaning off the paste.

Is it ok to remove the cooler and reinstall using the same paste? (I don't have any new thermal paste)

linus does it.

but, to be honest it depend on the amount that is there, how well it has spread, and the condition that the paste is in.

I got it back-up and running but only without any type of OC temps stayed under 75c. Usually the temps max out around 83c I have only ever ran the "Precision Boost" or "Auto Overclock" never manually attempted to Overclock the CPU. I only started messing with that stuff in hopes of making it run better.

FYI One day I attempted to run Elite Dangerous and it said my FPS was 850-900. It's done this a couple of times with other games. It will eventually stop acting a fool for a couple of hours then start back. I'll get tired of it and not touch it for a week or two.

Paste1.jpg

Paste2.jpg

I guess I ought to order some paste and cooler.... Any suggestions?

I just noticed that notch in one of the mounting holes on the MOBO. I don't know what that is about. This is the first time I have taken off the cooler since I installed it.

18 minutes ago, Squashy said:

I guess I ought to order some paste and cooler.... Any suggestions?

I just noticed that notch in one of the mounting holes on the MOBO. I don't know what that is about. This is the first time I have taken off the cooler since I installed it.

i would skip the cost of paste and get a better cooler.

i think you can get away with remounting the cooler. everything looks ok maybe slightly better pressure on one side was needed where the paste looks thicker.  just the stealth cooler cant keep up. keep the work load low

your case can handle big beffy coolers but its not needed.

You can get a: (cheapest to most expensive/best)

DEEP COOL GAMMAXX400V2

be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B

there are many great options around the 50-60$

i you want more option let me know

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

i would skip the cost of paste and get a better cooler.

i think you can get away with remounting the cooler. everything looks ok maybe slightly better pressure on one side was needed where the paste looks thicker.  just the stealth cooler cant keep up. keep the work load low

your case can handle big beffy coolers but its not needed.

You can get a: (cheapest to most expensive/best)

DEEP COOL GAMMAXX400V2

be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B

there are many great options around the 50-60$

i you want more option let me know

I thought about giving the internals for a graduation gift but I don't want to give something they can't be proud of. That said I'll probably go with a cooler rated for a much hotter processor incase he eventually wants to upgrade. (I would feel embarrassed to give anyone this setup in its current condition.)

Bequiet mobo check

Went with the Dark Rock Pro 4.

The BeCool website said, "usability of ram slots limited" for the non-Pro version. Which the word "PRO" seemed to double the price!   EDIT: confused with another cooler.

I wanted to try my hand at custom water cooling but don't want to get the cart in-front of the horse. (See if I can get this basic system running reliably first!)

After studying those pictures I think I might have had it too tight. You'er supposed to screw it down until it stops ignoring the springs?