Dream PC Build Log

Eajimoba

At work bored so I decided to post my upcoming Dream PC build log.

A bit of background, I live in Korea, I just got married and moved into a new small apartment together in central Seoul. We have our budgets sorted out, with the main thing being our money will be combined into our joint account soon and we both agreed that we should making personal purchases for ourselves before that happens. 

The purpose of this rig is for gaming, live streaming game content @ 1440p or 4K [using dual pc setup] and editing YouTube videos

As such I decided I wanted to build a complete battle station setup that would last upwards of 3-4 years to maintain my gaming hobby. I have purchased/received, and partially made everything in this list except for CPU and acoustic panels.. obviously I'll be refreshing frantically on Nov 5 for the sweet sweet CPU ;) The acoustic panels, I'm holding off on - for some reason I feel like it's an unnecessary purchase, considering my room is tiny [you'll see soon enough] and I have a huge floor to ceiling clothes hanger with all me and my wifes clothing.

I'm hoping to be able to overclock my RAM closer to 4000MHZ timing for the 5000 series AMD CPUs, and I've tested my 3090 so far and getting average boost clocks between 2000-2050, and weirdly getting up to 2100 in COD Warzone lol. The fan is a little loud, so I'm looking at doing a custom waterloop system for the GPU.

PC PARTS

TYPE PRODUCT PRICE PRICE USD EST
CPU AMD RYZEN 9 5950X ₩ 800,000 $680
MOTHERBOARD MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ₩ 368,000 $313
CPU COOLER EVGA CLC 360 LIQUID ₩ 197,500 $168
MEMORY TEAMGROUP T-FORCE 3600 CL14 ARGB 32GB  ₩ 341,000 $290
NVME GIGABYTE AORUS 2TB NVME ₩ 530,500 $451
POWER EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G+ ₩ 187,000 $159
CASE LIAN LI O11 DYANAMIC BLACK ₩ 178,000 $151
GRAPHICS CARD COLORFUL IGAME 3090 ADVANCED OC ₩ 2,189,410 $1,860
CASE FANS LIAN LI UNIFAN BLACK 3PACK x 2 ₩ 206,480 $175
THERMAL PASTE NOCTUA NT-H2 ₩ 17,890 $15
    ₩ 5,015,780 $4,071

TABLE AND OTHER

ACOUSTIC PANELS SORIGIO 25CMx25CM x 16 ₩ 67,500 $57
MOUSE PAD STEELSERIES QCK HEAVY XXL ₩ 102,500 $87
TABLETOP SKOGSA WORKTOP 186x3.8x63.5CM ₩ 400,000 $340
MONITOR ARM CAMEL MONITOR ARM ₩ 173,970 $148
TABLE LEGS ALEX DRAWERS x2 ₩ 179,800 $153
MONITOR LG 38GL950G ₩ 2,075,930 $1,764
KEYBOARD LOGITECH G913 WIRELESS TKL ₩ 279,000 $237
POWER STRIP 10SLOT POWER STRIP ₩ 27,050 $23
CABLE ORGANIZER CABLE ORGANIZER SIGNUM ₩ 19,800 $17
    ₩ 3,325,550 $2,825

PRE EXISTING

SPEAKERS LOGITECH G560 LIGHTSYNC
HEADPHONES STEELSERIES ARCTIS PRO
CAPTURE CARD ELGATO 4K60 EXTERNAL GAME CAPTURE
EXTRA MONITOR ACER PREDATOR X27 4K 144HZ HDR

I estimated USD prices so people here can have better reference comparisons in prices, yes I know some of these parts are exorbitantly expensive but this my dream build so I guess I don't care as much lol. My current PC is more budget friendly, I think it's in my signature below.

Anyhow, I'll upload some pics later today [2pm here atm] when I get home!

Any comments or feedback welcome! If you guys want me to do any tests let me know!

5800X - EVGA CLC 360 - MSI MEG X570 Unify - TForce Xtreem Argb 32gb [16x2] 3600Mhz CL14 - Colorful iGame 3090 Advanced OC 24gb - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black - EVGA Supernova 1000g+ - Lian Li Unifan x6 - LG 38GL950G - Acer Predator X27 4k 144hz

If you're bothering to do a custom loop for your GPU, I'd go with custom for your CPU too, it wouldn't add too much to the cost (can be less than the AIO) but would improve performance and reliability.

PSU, 1k watts I believe is ok for the 3090 most of the time right? I'd go slightly above due to keeping noise down. PSUs also have an efficiency curve so depending on what power you're pulling, it might be worth getting more headroom.

The case is fine, I gave my wife this and I got the XL. The XL is better for building in, not much of a difference in footprint but the additional room it offers does allow for more options such as with my setup, 2x very thick 360 rads, 1x thin 360 rad, as well as an EATX mobo. In the original, this wouldn't be possible.

The Noctua thermal paste is fine, I always go with Thermal Grizzly but have their liquid metal on both currently. I believe these are the highest performing ones currently.

I would mention would be your peripherals/software. Ensuring that your lighting and peripheral control software is all synced etc can be difficult, particularly when you're using an array of products from different vendors. I'm trying to cut down on how many I use due to them spiking in CPU usage every so often which can cause lag spikes when Windows doesn't allocate cores efficiently enough. So far I can see:

• MSI
    • Not including EVGA as ideally you wouldn't use their AIO
  • Teamgroup
  • GPU block
    • Whichever you go for, most have software for lights these days.
  • Lian Li
  • Logitech
    • Mouse not mentioned, not sure if Logitech? Edit: Saw you're using Zowie, good choice :)

I'd check whether the MSI software can control Teamgroup and Lian Li's products, as well as whichever brand(s) you choose to go for with CPU+GPU blocks, as well as reservoir. Alternatively, it look at some of the other options like OpenRGB which may work out for you. It's surprising how keeping your products within fewer ecosystems can actually improve performance these days, particularly where peripheral/RGB software is involved.

I'd also plan to budget your custom loop. Getting the blocks, rads, pump/res, tubes and of course fittings (lots and lots of fittings..) can really add up the cost very quickly.

9 hours ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

If you're bothering to do a custom loop for your GPU, I'd go with custom for your CPU too, it wouldn't add too much to the cost (can be less than the AIO) but would improve performance and reliability.

PSU, 1k watts I believe is ok for the 3090 most of the time right? I'd go slightly above due to keeping noise down. PSUs also have an efficiency curve so depending on what power you're pulling, it might be worth getting more headroom.

The case is fine, I gave my wife this and I got the XL. The XL is better for building in, not much of a difference in footprint but the additional room it offers does allow for more options such as with my setup, 2x very thick 360 rads, 1x thin 360 rad, as well as an EATX mobo. In the original, this wouldn't be possible.

The Noctua thermal paste is fine, I always go with Thermal Grizzly but have their liquid metal on both currently. I believe these are the highest performing ones currently.

I would mention would be your peripherals/software. Ensuring that your lighting and peripheral control software is all synced etc can be difficult, particularly when you're using an array of products from different vendors. I'm trying to cut down on how many I use due to them spiking in CPU usage every so often which can cause lag spikes when Windows doesn't allocate cores efficiently enough. So far I can see:

• MSI
    • Not including EVGA as ideally you wouldn't use their AIO
  • Teamgroup
  • GPU block
    • Whichever you go for, most have software for lights these days.
  • Lian Li
  • Logitech
    • Mouse not mentioned, not sure if Logitech? Edit: Saw you're using Zowie, good choice :)

I'd check whether the MSI software can control Teamgroup and Lian Li's products, as well as whichever brand(s) you choose to go for with CPU+GPU blocks, as well as reservoir. Alternatively, it look at some of the other options like OpenRGB which may work out for you. It's surprising how keeping your products within fewer ecosystems can actually improve performance these days, particularly where peripheral/RGB software is involved.

I'd also plan to budget your custom loop. Getting the blocks, rads, pump/res, tubes and of course fittings (lots and lots of fittings..) can really add up the cost very quickly.

Thanks for the tips!

Sadly I've already purchased my EVGA CLC so I'll give that a go for the time being and see how it performs.

One thing regarding going custom for my GPU, I wonder if you can use a distro plate/rad just for GPU only? I'm looking at EK for their front glass replacement distro plate with D5 pump included. Would I just have to close off the cpu inlet/outlet if its just one peripheral I'm cooling? That way I can do GPU only at the start, and add cpu cooling as cpu blocks come out for the Ryzen 5000 series.

Right now I have 360 AIO on TOP, 3 x Lian Li on the side, and 3 x Lian Li on the bottom.

With a front distro plate [provided I can use it just for GPU] I can convert my side 3 x Lian Li on the side by attaching a rad to it right?

This is my first foray into top end products as I'm usually in the mid to above average range so I'm still figuring a lot of things out.

For the lighting though, I see what you mean

As far as I know 

MOBO - doesn't have RGB, I sort of initially planned on a no RGB build

TEAMGROUP[RAM] - works with Mystic Light

GPU BLOCK - have to use EVGA software, but profile can be saved to firmware? [I wonder if I can uninstall software after that]

Lian Li Fans - works with Mystic Light

Edit: EK Front Distro Plate also works with Mystic Light

I guess overall I may be able to get away with one software package [mystic light] for everything, with EVGA having an saved profile with software uninstalled afterwards. I'm not looking for a dynamically changing lighting system, rather probably just keeping a static blue/red/purple but leaning towards purple as my GPU has that red "core" thingy

5800X - EVGA CLC 360 - MSI MEG X570 Unify - TForce Xtreem Argb 32gb [16x2] 3600Mhz CL14 - Colorful iGame 3090 Advanced OC 24gb - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black - EVGA Supernova 1000g+ - Lian Li Unifan x6 - LG 38GL950G - Acer Predator X27 4k 144hz

Going custom for the distro is doable. You might need to get creative with using cap fittings/doing a run from one part of the distro into other parts.

For the side 360+rad, I think you should be ok. I can't say for certain because my OG O11 didn't use this setup. You will need to go with a slim 360 however as even in the XL I can't go for a thick one. As a note, if you chose to go with a bottom rad, I believe you could only go for 280mm and below as the pump intrudes on the third fan slot's rad positioning.

Regarding lighting/peripheral software, it sounds like you're mostly ok. I had a bit of a nightmare with Razer keypad, Corsair keyboard, Logitech mouse, Corsair RAM and an Aorus mobo. I needed this specific mobo for the build I'm going to transition to but didn't realise how poor the RGB software was with Aorus. RGB isn't the main focus of my build by any stretch, but I disliked how different software could cause lagspikes in games when they sent out a call.

Just a quick question, you say for your GPU block you have to use EVGA software, why is that the case? Or did you mean CPU? If you're running EVGA software for GPU tweaking, you can still use other software for lighting.

Regarding the GPU, you seem pretty happy with it. I'm in Beijing so have been trying to keep more of an eye on these brands. The cooling on them always seemed pretty poor, loud and not styled very subtely so I'd also planned on (if I got one) watercooling it. Does it use a reference PCB and do you know which blocks are compatible with it?

Aside from expanding my liquid cooling to run mostly passively, I'm looking at replacing the PSU for one with software control, and to get likely a 3090 or AMD's option depending on how reviews are. I'm sure someone like Barrow/Bykski would do a GPU block for them and I have their fittings/rads but only because the fittings are good enough and the rads are just enormous so the worse performance doesn't really matter. I'd prefer a more mainstream brand for the block itself.

In terms of monitors, I was also planning to replace my 27" 240hz Zowie with a larger panel (maybe Odyssey G9) but this wouldn't be for another few months and I'll see what's out then. I had mostly been playing FPS so have been wanting someone that can maintain 240hz but liked the idea of going back to a bigger screen and having better resolution and HDR than what I have now. The LG you mentioned seems more expensive (obviously both are from Korea so I'm looking at prices I can see) with worse FPS, smaller but better HDR. Just wondering if HDR is that important to you or if you might actually prefer the Samsung.

1 hour ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

For the side 360+rad, I think you should be ok. I can't say for certain because my OG O11 didn't use this setup. You will need to go with a slim 360 however as even in the XL I can't go for a thick one. As a note, if you chose to go with a bottom rad, I believe you could only go for 280mm and below as the pump intrudes on the third fan slot's rad positioning.

I'm looking at an Radiator/pump combo, when they quote it as a 360 Rad, I thought it typically references which size the total combo fits into doesn't it? I guess I should do some more research. In the meantime though I had thought of installing it on the bottom, but I'll be installing a vertical gpu holder [pice 3.0 sadly] in the case, and although it does elevate the GPU from the bottom, I don't think it elevates it enough to allow for BOTH fan and rad sadly.

Just a quick question, you say for your GPU block you have to use EVGA software, why is that the case? Or did you mean CPU? If you're running EVGA software for GPU tweaking, you can still use other software for lighting.

Regarding the GPU, you seem pretty happy with it. I'm in Beijing so have been trying to keep more of an eye on these brands. The cooling on them always seemed pretty poor, loud and not styled very subtely so I'd also planned on (if I got one) watercooling it. Does it use a reference PCB and do you know which blocks are compatible with it?

Aside from expanding my liquid cooling to run mostly passively, I'm looking at replacing the PSU for one with software control, and to get likely a 3090 or AMD's option depending on how reviews are. I'm sure someone like Barrow/Bykski would do a GPU block for them and I have their fittings/rads but only because the fittings are good enough and the rads are just enormous so the worse performance doesn't really matter. I'd prefer a more mainstream brand for the block itself.

Ah the GPU block lighting was a typo, I was referring to the CPU CLC from EVGA currently, it states on its site that its lighting profiles can be saved to firmware which I'm thinking may mean I can set a profile [static single color] and uninstall the software so that overall I'd just need the MSI Mystic Light for my RAM, and Lian Li fans, and possibly the front distro plate for the GPU Block [if/when I eventually purchase one]

I don't mind the Colorful brand, its currently boosting solid at 2055Mhz, but reaching temps up to 80c and similarly about 85% fan speed which is quite noticeable when I don't run headphones - that's the man reason for looking into custom gpu block/distro/rad&pump combo to lower the overall sound levels. If you want I can give you a basic rundown and benchmarks for the model I'm using - Colorful iGame 3090 Advanced OC-V

Yeah I see barrow and bykski already has gpu blocks out for my model, but I'm a little suspicious of it atm as well, I may just use my 3090 for the time being and sell it closer to the 6900XT launch as I wouldn't mind going full AMD considering the Rage Mode and SAM integration.

In terms of monitors, I was also planning to replace my 27" 240hz Zowie with a larger panel (maybe Odyssey G9) but this wouldn't be for another few months and I'll see what's out then. I had mostly been playing FPS so have been wanting someone that can maintain 240hz but liked the idea of going back to a bigger screen and having better resolution and HDR than what I have now. The LG you mentioned seems more expensive (obviously both are from Korea so I'm looking at prices I can see) with worse FPS, smaller but better HDR. Just wondering if HDR is that important to you or if you might actually prefer the Samsung.

I've been using the LG for some time now, and I feel like any further horizontal size on the G9 would be too extreme for me, I'd rather use my LG as my main, and have my 27" monitor on top and vice versa if I feel like playing at 1080p for that high FPS play. Plus I think with the G9 and its high curve its rated for 1 meter viewing distance.. I'm more like 40-50cm away from the screen as I like to be close for FPS gaming and so I wouldn't even see the full horizontal range, another thing is that I love the additional vertical real estate as its 1600 not 1440, it doesn't look as weird I guess haha. I also didn't think anything I play will reach 240hz anyway so I thought the advantage in refresh rates on Samsung was a moot point for me.. I guess if you play cs/valorant or other easy to reach high fps games its viable even with its insane horiztonal real estate

Currently I have my 9600k system using my 3090 and my cpu is 100% pegged [bottlenecked atm I know] and at 3840 x 1600 my warzone frames are between 110 to 180 :( I need more!

Just to be clear

CPU > AIO > CPU

GPU > DISTRO/PUMP > RADIATOR/FANS > GPU

This is possible? I imagine I could block off the cpu inlet/outlets but I've never seen anyone do it like this - for obvious reasons I suppose

Radiator/pump combo? Do you mean pump/res? Regarding the 360 rad, no that's just the measurements for the fans. a 360 is made for 3x120mm fans, radiators will have the "head" and other parts that extend past the holes for the screws which means that various rads won't work in more cramped areas.

For the vertical GPU mount, you're right that you can't do a radiator underneath it too. Even if you had a slim rad+fans I'm not sure you could fit them under a vertical mount.

For the EVGA question, you might be able to do that, I'm not sure and would do some more investigation. I'm not sure that it will be intelligent enough to run a fan curve without software, it could but this isn't something I can say is definitely the case :)

If you can make back most of your money on the 3090 and went AMD then great, we'll see how things go, I wouldn't mind going back to a full AMD system. The least issues I've had were when I had full AMD..

I didn't realise you already had the monitor. Personally I would go for the additional size but that's me, I like a lot of screen real estate!

I've seen people doing distro plates like you would need in 1 of 2 ways, but honestly this seems to have always been an afterthought where they couldn't get a GPU block etc. Depending on the distro you can put caps onto the ports you won't use so that they stay clear of dust.

If you can/want to make more use of the plate, you can just use fittings to transfer liquid from 1 section to the next. So you would connect the port that would push liquid to the CPU and the one that would come from the CPU, this would transfer the liquid from one channel to the other to continue the loop.

Here's a video demonstrating it: 

If you go to 1:44, you'll see that he's doing a tube from 1 channel in the distro to another channel in the distro, this is bypassing the component it was intended for. In your case you would just do it for the CPU instead.

27 minutes ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

Radiator/pump combo? Do you mean pump/res? Regarding the 360 rad, no that's just the measurements for the fans. a 360 is made for 3x120mm fans, radiators will have the "head" and other parts that extend past the holes for the screws which means that various rads won't work in more cramped areas.

For the vertical GPU mount, you're right that you can't do a radiator underneath it too. Even if you had a slim rad+fans I'm not sure you could fit them under a vertical mount.

For the EVGA question, you might be able to do that, I'm not sure and would do some more investigation. I'm not sure that it will be intelligent enough to run a fan curve without software, it could but this isn't something I can say is definitely the case :)

If you can make back most of your money on the 3090 and went AMD then great, we'll see how things go, I wouldn't mind going back to a full AMD system. The least issues I've had were when I had full AMD..

I didn't realise you already had the monitor. Personally I would go for the additional size but that's me, I like a lot of screen real estate!

I've seen people doing distro plates like you would need in 1 of 2 ways, but honestly this seems to have always been an afterthought where they couldn't get a GPU block etc. Depending on the distro you can put caps onto the ports you won't use so that they stay clear of dust.

If you can/want to make more use of the plate, you can just use fittings to transfer liquid from 1 section to the next. So you would connect the port that would push liquid to the CPU and the one that would come from the CPU, this would transfer the liquid from one channel to the other to continue the loop.

Here's a video demonstrating it: 

If you go to 1:44, you'll see that he's doing a tube from 1 channel in the distro to another channel in the distro, this is bypassing the component it was intended for. In your case you would just do it for the CPU instead.

I've seen on videos [especially on GamersNexus] that the rad should generally be below the pump, does it not matter in custom loops systems?

Could you link the videos? Typically the only major thing you want to happen in your loop is for the pump to come straight after the res, anything else can be done in any order, it typically doesn't really matter much.

In my case I have:

Res>Pump>GPU>CPU>Rad>Rad>Rad>Res

You can better optimise it by a couple of degrees here and there by having a rad between GPU and CPU but from experience the order doesn't matter too much.