LAN Server & Gaming Rig

Hi all,

I'm currently hosting a local server on a HP PC equipped with the following:

•  2x 10TB WD Red HHD;
  • Gigabit ethernet;
  • Ubuntu server 2020 as the OS.

Recently i've been saving some money in order to buy a new gaming PC (planning to spend around1500-1800$) and i would like to use this new one also as a replacement of the above mentioned "Server", which main scope is to run a Plex server and placeholder for backups.

The problem is that my bedroom is already full of stuff and in order to save some space and also have a quieter place (the server is running 24/7 and it's a bit loud) i recently moved the server in the basement (while my room is at the 2° floor) and i would like to keep the new replacement PC in the basement too.

Is there any option to stream games from my basement RIG to my laptop screen or to my monitor (they are in my bedroom) via ethernet? i've heard of HDMI-over-ip and VNC but i'm not sure if those suits my needs (i don't play competitive games, i'm more of a visual gamer).

PS: As you can imagine my mother language is not English, so forgive me for any horrible mistake. 

Steam got their own In-home Streaming feature built-in. Might be worth to try.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

11 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Steam got their own In-home Streaming feature built-in. Might be worth to try.

First of all thanks for the reply.

I check'd steam remote play as well but i like to have physical copies of my games so i wasn't really considering that as an option, at least if it's not the only one 🤔

5 minutes ago, TrascendentK said:

First of all thanks for the reply.

I check'd steam remote play as well but i like to have physical copies of my games so i wasn't really considering that as an option, at least if it's not the only one 🤔

Well, I stumbled onto something like HDMI to ethernet, dunno if that works fine for gaming somehow. Or maybe try how Linus did that, maybe? It's darn expensive tho.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC