Chrome Data Folder - Weird Files

Here's an interesting one!

Just doing a quick spotlight search for something on my Mac, when I saw a file called passwords.txt - I had never created the file, so took a quick look at where it was located.

To my surprise, it was in:

User Folder > Library > Application Support > Google > Chrome > ZxcvbnData > 1

I went into this folder and found quite a few files, with odd contents and names. One was called 'male_names.txt', another 'surnames.txt', 'us_tv_and_film.txt' and of course passwords.txt, along with a manifest.json

The contents of these folders were what looked like randomised data of these types e.g. male_names.txt has a long string list of male names in, and the passwords.txt file had none of my passwords in, but randomised, simple passwords (some of which quite rude!)

Just wanted to check to see if anyone else has discovered this folder, or if you know where it came from - it was created about 10 days ago, and is a mystery to me!

Many thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 18.09.51.png

I just noticed the same thing - here's what I found:

On 10/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, gw_nyc said:

I just noticed the same thing - here's what I found:

Thanks for this, glad to know someone else is having this problem too - seems to have the LTT forum baffled!

Some of the things said on the Reddit thread are interesting - I looked at the link with the Dropbox GitHub when doing some research on it. Not sure how it got there, but it can indeed be used to bruteforce logins.

I have only ever had the Honey and Malwarebytes browser extension installed, and don't think it came from there.

Very strange...