Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi there, my system with Ryzen 3700X is running at about 60 - 70 degrees celsius under minimal load (Chrome, Discord and a couple other low load apps open) 

Averaging around 7% CPU usage in this scenario.

My CPU cooler is the stock Wraith Prism which I'm well aware isn't the best.

So I'm wondering whether these temps are alright.

Thanks

 

Also, looking at it now, my CPU frequency keeps changing. I know nothing about overclocking other than higher frequencies = hotter and faster.

Is 4.2GHz ok?

Drag Cent.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those temperatures seem to be hot for just an idle condition. If your CPU frequency is decreasing while temps increase, then that's thermal throttling. 

6 minutes ago, Olly456 said:

I know nothing about overclocking other than higher frequencies = hotter and faster.

Is 4.2GHz ok?

Is this straight out of the box and letting AMD boost by itself? 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Those temperatures seem to be hot for just an idle condition. If your CPU frequency is decreasing while temps increase, then that's thermal throttling. 

Is this straight out of the box and letting AMD boost by itself? 

Yes I haven't touched overclock settings

 

Been looking into it and downloading AMD's Ryzen Master controller to stop it

I dont need it at 4.27GHz constantly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Those temperatures seem to be hot for just an idle condition. If your CPU frequency is decreasing while temps increase, then that's thermal throttling. 

Is this straight out of the box and letting AMD boost by itself? 

Yes it's thermal throttling then. Keeps jumping from 4.2 to 3.6 and back

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Those temperatures seem to be hot for just an idle condition. If your CPU frequency is decreasing while temps increase, then that's thermal throttling. 

Is this straight out of the box and letting AMD boost by itself? 

SEE! Just downloaded AMD's official software and it was on 4.4GHz DEFAULT! what the hell!

Capture.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Olly456 said:

SEE! Just downloaded AMD's official software and it was on 4.4GHz DEFAULT! what the hell!

~Snip~

I would use HWinfo64 (a very extensive program that details everything from voltages/power, temperatures, utilizations, and clock speeds) too and I would clean the old thermal compound off the CPU and CPU cooler and apply new thermal compound (TIM). 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

I would use HWinfo64 (a very extensive program that details everything from voltages/power, temperatures, utilizations, and clock speeds) too and I would clean the old thermal compound off the CPU and CPU cooler and apply new thermal compound (TIM). 

Ok, will look into that. The PC is only 4 months old and I used Artic AM-4 instead of the pre-applied stuff so it should be fine still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olly456 said:

Ok, will look into that. The PC is only 4 months old and I used Artic AM-4 instead of the pre-applied stuff so it should be fine still.

That's odd though but the cooler will provide just enough cooling to run the computer. Perhaps raise the RPM of the cooler's fan and see if that helps? The next option is to get an aftermarket air cooler or AIO for better temperatures. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CommanderAlex said:

That's odd though but the cooler will provide just enough cooling to run the computer. Perhaps raise the RPM of the cooler's fan and see if that helps? The next option is to get an aftermarket air cooler or AIO for better temperatures. 

Yeah, I'll adjust the fan curves to see if that helps. I've also been looking into an AIO and will most likely end up getting one to get rid of this constant vacuum cleaner noise in my pc lol. Do you know anything about OCing? What voltages, core clock etc. Trying to change the settings and I know I can mess things up if I don't do it properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Olly456 said:

Yeah, I'll adjust the fan curves to see if that helps. I've also been looking into an AIO and will most likely end up getting one to get rid of this constant vacuum cleaner noise in my pc lol. Do you know anything about OCing? What voltages, core clock etc. Trying to change the settings and I know I can mess things up if I don't do it properly.

I don't really know much about OCing with Ryzen processors other than from what I've read other users say to never go above 1.325V for an OC but I'd imagine overclocking is similar with pretty much any CPU; set a standard core multiplier and voltage and increase from there incrementally.

 

There are guides out there on the internet and this one may be of use to you. 

 

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/how-to-overclock-amd-ryzen-cpus

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CPU constantly running sub 2GHz actually. IDK what happening

 

Capture3.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

I don't really know much about OCing with Ryzen processors other than from what I've read other users say to never go above 1.325V for an OC but I'd imagine overclocking is similar with pretty much any CPU; set a standard core multiplier and voltage and increase from there incrementally.

 

There are guides out there on the internet and this one may be of use to you. 

 

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/how-to-overclock-amd-ryzen-cpus

Thats not great. My voltage is at 1.375V This is so weird

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olly456 said:

Thats not great. My voltage is at 1.375V

Are settings stock in BIOS? I know there was some reports a couple months back about false readings and I'll provide you the article here but I have to get some rest. 

 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-burnout-amd-board-power-cheats-may-shorten-cpu-lifespan

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I don't really know much about OCing with Ryzen processors other than from what I've read other users say to never go above 1.325V for an OC but I'd imagine overclocking is similar with pretty much any CPU; set a standard core multiplier and voltage and increase from there incrementally.

 

There are guides out there on the internet and this one may be of use to you. 

 

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/how-to-overclock-amd-ryzen-cpus

Update: Now set voltage to 1.3V to be safe. Temps INSTANTLY dropped and fans went down. On mobo monitor voltage showing as 1.2V which was reccomended as a good safe level in that tomshardware post. And showing as 3.6GHz constant clock no changing which is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are settings stock in BIOS? I know there was some reports a couple months back about false readings and I'll provide you the article here but I have to get some rest. 

 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-burnout-amd-board-power-cheats-may-shorten-cpu-lifespan

Yeah settings are all stock apart from RAM which I used a profile to get my full 3600Hz. OC settings I strayed far away from

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Olly456 said:

@CommanderAlex Thank you for your help and advice. Its now 4.30am and should probably go to bed :)

Anytime!!

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×