A little help with RAM speed

Hi, i have a doubt regarding my RAM speed usage, i was checking CPU-Z and noticed (actually a friend of mine told me) that my ram speed is set to 2140 MHz, instead of the 3000 MHz it has (i don't know if 'has' is the correct term). Anyways he told me about the XMP profile setting in the BIOS, so i set it to profile#1 (the only one available) and i thought that was the end of it since the pc ran normally (The speed now was set to 3000 MHz), that is, until i played a game (Horizon Zero Dawn) and noticed stuttering and HUGE fps drops, so i ran the benchmark and it was a stutter show, so i went back to the BIOS and disabled the XMP profile, ran the benchmark again and the stutter was gone (there was some here and there but the game's not well optimized)

So my question is. HOW and WHY should i set the memory speed to a higher sped? Am i losing performance in games because of its lower speed usage?

My RIG: 
CPU: Intel i7-8700

GPU: Asus 1080 TI

Ram: Ballistix Elite 3000 DDR4 16 GB (Single Slot)

My ram: https://www.amazon.es/Ballistix-Elite-BLE16G4D30AEEA-Memoria-PC4-24000/dp/B071VCQD83

CPU-Z screenshots (XMP disabled): 

Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

you have a locked processor.. the fastest your CPU can support is 2666mhz. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Maybe the ram frequency is not compatible with the CPU. Anyway it should not make a difference, your memory will just take more time to fill or empty when you use apps that use a lot of RAM like Blender. 

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you have a locked processor.. the fastest your CPU can support is 2666mhz. 

ohhh i didnt knew that, and is there a way to set it to 2666 mhz?

Just now, Rathnhake said:

ohhh i didnt knew that, and is there a way to set it to 2666 mhz?

enable XMP and set your speeds to 2666 instead of 3000 and it should work. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Tornado77 said:

Maybe the ram frequency is not compatible with the CPU. Anyway it should not make a difference, your memory will just take more time to fill or empty when you use apps that use a lot of RAM like Blender. 

Yeah i dont use any of those apps so i should be fine, thanks!

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

enable XMP and set your speeds to 2666 instead of 3000 and it should work. 

Agreed, if you find stability issues while xmp is enabled, try to manually tune your ram speeds and or timings.

2 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

Agreed, if you find stability issues while xmp is enabled, try to manually tune your ram speeds and or timings.

Okay, and is that a simpl thing to do? because when i enabled XMP with profile 1 it showed me all the changes it made before exiting and there were a lot of them, stuff like CL and voltages and other things, should i do that too or just change ram speed?

3 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

Okay, and is that a simpl thing to do? because when i enabled XMP with profile 1 it showed me all the changes it made before exiting and there were a lot of them, stuff like CL and voltages and other things, should i do that too or just change ram speed?

Enable xmp, apply changes, and restart. The pc will most likely not work if you only change the ram speed. That is because changing the ram speed higher will need more voltage.

16 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

Enable xmp, apply changes, and restart. The pc will most likely not work if you only change the ram speed. That is because changing the ram speed higher will need more voltage.

yeah i did that already, but like i said, it seems to be unstable when playing games, and the DRAM frequency showed 1500 on CPU-Z (3000 MHz i think?) so when i enable XMP it sets the ram to 3000 MHz, not 2666 like the other user said

7 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

yeah i did that already, but like i said, it seems to be unstable when playing games, and the DRAM frequency showed 1500 on CPU-Z (3000 MHz i think?) so when i enable XMP it sets the ram to 3000 MHz, not 2666 like the other user said

Then I would advise going into your bios, and changing dram frequency from 3000 to 2666 but keep xmp enabled.

10 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

Interesting experience, this statement seems to differ from your original post. 

The stuttering goes away when enabled XMP, but how does it seem unstable? 

You can test the memory while XMP is on to check stability using Memtest or OCCT, something of the like.

The software will notify you of any errors. Major errors will result in the Blue Screen of Death!

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Interesting experience, this statement seems to differ from your original post. 

The stuttering goes away when enabled XMP, but how does it seem unstable? 

You can test the memory while XMP is on to check stability using Memtest or OCCT, something of the like.

The software will notify you of any errors. Major errors will result in the Blue Screen of Death!

No it doesn't, my original post is basically that statement but more expanded, i said that my friend told me to enable XMP, i did, it set the ram to 3000 MHz, everything was normal until i played a game and noticed unstable performance, went back to BIOS, disabled XMP and here i am 😛

The stuttering doesn't go away the XMP enabled, the stuttering is there when XMP is enabled, when i disable it, the stuttering goes away (the game stutters normally without XMP enabled but thats the game, not my rig)

I didn't knew about any of those testing softwares, i will try them now to see if they come up with something

1 minute ago, Rathnhake said:

No it doesn't, my original post is basically that statement but more expanded, i said that my friend told me to enable XMP, i did, it set the ram to 3000 MHz, everything was normal until i played a game and noticed unstable performance, went back to BIOS, disabled XMP and here i am 😛

The stuttering doesn't go away the XMP enabled, the stuttering is there when XMP is enabled, when i disable it, the stuttering goes away (the game stutters normally without XMP enabled but thats the game, not my rig)

I didn't knew about any of those testing softwares, i will try them now to see if they come up with something

OH!! I totally read that all backwards lol. 

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OH!! I totally read that all backwards lol. 

it's okay haha, what im going to do is set XMP to profile 1 and run MemTest

22 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

it's okay haha, what im going to do is set XMP to profile 1 and run MemTest

I'd try CL 16-16-16 and see if that helps stability, if not try 16-17-17. Make sure the memory voltage is at 1.35v though.