PCIE 4.0 SSD Problems.

binmaa10

Hello guys,

I am currently running an AMD 3900X on an MSI X570 Gaming Plus Mainboard. Now I've decided to buy a 2nd Hard Drive and use this chance to get an PCIE 4.0 SSD.
I bought myself a 1TB Sabrent Rocket PCIE 4.0 Drive. The 2nd drive which is already in my PC is a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

Now my Problem is as follows:

The Gaming Plus has 2 M.2 slots labelled M.2_1 and M.2_2. Out of these slots only M.2_1 supports PCIE 4.0. So i obs viously installed the Sabrent SSD into the M.2_1 Slot and moved the Samsung to the M.2_2 Slot. But when I try to boot with this configuration the System fails to POST.

The MSI Debug LEDs also behave Kinda weird. They light up in a pattern where first the CPU LED lights up for a couple of second then turns off and the Boot and GPU Leds lighten up for half a second just to become dark and start this pattern over again.

The thing which confuses me the most is, that if I put the Samsung in the M.2_1 Slot and the Sabrent inside the M.2_2 Slot everything works just fine I can get into the BIOS and see both disks working. In general the PC boots just fine into the USB installer in every configuration where the Sabrent is not mounted in the first slot.

The BIOS is already upgraded to the latest stable version from the MSI homepage.
I've also tried to install an OS on the Sabrent whilst having it mounted into the 2nd slot and moving it to the first afterwards. Which also did not help.

As I am slowly running out of ideas what could be wrong, I'd happy if someone can give me his advice. Because I honestly would not like to waste the PCIE 4.0 Speed in a regular PCIE slot.

Sounds like the 970 has your windows boot partition on it - try switching to legacy bios instead of UEFI

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I am already running legacy BIOS as I'm planning to Install Linux. currently both have a Windows boot partition. The thing is with the Sabrent mounted into the PCIE 4.0 Slot I'm not even getting as far as booting anywhere. Im stuck even before I am able to enter the BIOS or anything else.

5 hours ago, binmaa10 said:

I am already running legacy BIOS as I'm planning to Install Linux. currently both have a Windows boot partition. The thing is with the Sabrent mounted into the PCIE 4.0 Slot I'm not even getting as far as booting anywhere. Im stuck even before I am able to enter the BIOS or anything else.

Take all other drives out leaving only the Sabrent installed:

In this scenario:

1. Does it boot now?

2. Can you install windows on it?

If so put all other drives back in.

If you can't boot with only the Sabrent installed, then it is likely it is DOA

So unless you can test it in a friends rig, send it back and get a replacement or refund

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64