GPU choice

Cyneptic
Go to solution Solved by tishous,

If you're not playing at 1440p or higher and are only going for 144fps, you can probably get a 2060, 2060 Super, 2070 or a 5700xt that will fit your needs perfectly. None of the games you play are very GPU dependant (at least not in 1080p) and if you're going to play single player games in the future, you don't really need more than 60fps and these cards are future-proof enough for that.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I Play GTA V, Valorant, Wow. and do Graphic Design work (a little 3d, mostly illustration and photoshop design), but I would like single player games to run smoothly and without causing problems for a couple of years at 1080p.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My build is : Ryzen 9 3900XT, rog strix b550-f gaming motherboard which has pcie 4.0 for gpu, 16gb ram g.skill 3200 (tho cant get it to 3200 its on 2955)

hello, so my plan was to wait for 3080 to actually be available. but my gpu died leaving me with no choice but to opt for a 2000 ...

What I want my system to achieve is only 1080p gaming, my monitor is 144hz.

I would never go for 1440p let alone 4k. I play gtav, valorant, wow and do graphic design (very little 3d, mostly illustration and design) mainly. but I would want the card to able to support all single player games that are going to be released in hopefully some years without causing problems in 1080p

2080ti is a bit overpriced 

2080 super is ok for my budget but I want to know what you think, based on my needs what choices do I have in 2000 series. what you recommend.

I would change the gpu in a couple of years to a 3080 or whatever comes after if its good. I will probably keep this card for 2-3 years so I dont want to overspend on it but more importantly wouldn't want it to cause any problems like not being able to handle a game at 1080p in that time.

My choices are:

Aorus 2080 Super 8G
Gigabyte 2080 super gaming OC 8G
ROG Strix 2070S O7G Gaming
Aorus 2070 Super 8G

MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC
Msi 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Msi 2070 Super VENTUS OC
Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC 8G
EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra
ROG Strix 2060S O8G EVO Gaming
ROG Strix 2060S O8G Gaming
ROG Strix 2060S A8G EVO gaming
Gigabyte 2060 Windforce OC 6G
Gigabyte 2060 Super Gaming OC 8G
ROG Strix 2060 O6G EVO Gaming
TUF 2060 O6G Gaming
EVGA 2060 KO ULTRA Gaming

I know obviously for performance the higher the better. but I wonder if I'm overspending with my needs ? since I dont want to go above 1080p (and also have a 144hz monitor )and would probably change it in 2-3 years

If you're not playing at 1440p or higher and are only going for 144fps, you can probably get a 2060, 2060 Super, 2070 or a 5700xt that will fit your needs perfectly. None of the games you play are very GPU dependant (at least not in 1080p) and if you're going to play single player games in the future, you don't really need more than 60fps and these cards are future-proof enough for that.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

If you're not playing at 1440p or higher and are only going for 144fps, you can probably get a 2070 or a 5700xt that will fit your needs perfectly. None of the games you play are very GPU dependant (at least not in 1080p) and if you're going to play single player games in the future, you don't really need more than 60fps and these cards are future-proof enough for that.

I will absolutely not go for anything beyond 1080p

It would be nice to go for 2070 to save money specially when I want to change it in a couple of years

but I absolutely want the 144hz fps on multiplayer games, and 0 fps lag spikes in single players that will come in these years

can 2070 handle it for sure?

if so which one of those 2070s would you recommend.

What is your budget exactly?

I have a bit of a bias towards Quadros, so a Quadro RTX 4000 could be good.

It's similar to an RTX 2060 Super, but also has good rendering capabilities.

It's also single-slot.

And looks cool.

elephants

You can get a 5700xt but driver support isn't that great. I have some problems with it. 

If you are sure you are not going any futher than 1080p just get a 2070 or something or wait for Big Navi/2070

5 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

I will absolutely not go for anything beyond 1080p

It would be nice to go for 2070 to save money specially when I want to change it in a couple of years

but I absolutely want the 144hz fps on multiplayer games, and 0 fps lag spikes in single players that will come in these years

can 2070 handle it for sure?

if so which one of those 2070s would you recommend.

You haven't listed any 2070 options but for the price difference, I would recommend just going with a 2060 Super. None of those 2060 Super cards seem to be a bad idea. Look up some reviews on YouTube.

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

2 minutes ago, Funminotaur3880 said:

You can get a 5700xt but driver support isn't that great. I have some problems with it. 

If you are sure you are not going any futher than 1080p just get a 2070 or something or wait for Big Navi/2070

i am sure i will not go above 1080p

can 2070 get me the 144hz on games though?

which 2070 would you recommend.

Just now, tishous said:

You haven't listed any 2070 options, but for the price difference, I would recommend just going with a 2060 Super. None of those cards seem to be a bad idea. Look up some reviews on YouTube.

ROG Strix 2070S O7G Gaming
Aorus 2070 Super 8G
Msi 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Msi 2070 Super VENTUS OC
Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC 8G
EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra

these are 2070? oh if you meant regular 2070 not super, that is not available. but these are in a great price range for me

1 minute ago, Cyneptic said:

i am sure i will not go above 1080p

can 2070 get me the 144hz on games though?

which 2070 would you recommend.

What other games are you going to be playing except for the ones listed?

Just now, tishous said:

What other games are you going to be playing except for the ones listed?

multiplayer would probably be only those three, maybe cod warzone and black desert a bit.

single player though as for now, I'd say horizon, red dead, tomb raider

but i'm wondering if 2070 would be able to handle future games? like cyberpunk or whatever that might come in 2-3 years til I switch it out.

Just now, Cyneptic said:

multiplayer would probably be only those three, maybe cod warzone and black desert a bit.

single player though as for now, I'd say horizon, red dead, tomb raider

but i'm wondering if 2070 would be able to handle future games? like cyberpunk or whatever that might come in 2-3 years til I switch it out.

Well Warzone is a lot harder to run than Valorant. In that case, if the price difference doesn't matter to you, then maybe a 2070 Super may be best. A 2070 Super is a few percent off a 2080, so I definitely think it will be able to run future games. As long as you don't have Ray Tracing settings on Ultra, even just high will do, then it will run absolutely fine in Cyberpunk (not at 144fps, but it's pointless in a singleplayer game anyway.)

5 minutes ago, tishous said:

Well Warzone is a lot harder to run than Valorant. In that case, if the price difference doesn't matter to you, then maybe a 2070 Super may be best. A 2070 Super is a few percent off a 2080, so I definitely think it will be able to run future games. As long as you don't have Ray Tracing settings on Ultra, even just high will do, then it will run absolutely fine in Cyberpunk (not at 144fps, but it's pointless in a singleplayer game anyway.)

ROG Strix 2070S O8G Gaming
Aorus 2070 Super 8G

there is a huge price difference between these two, if you are familiar with could you tell me if they are really that different?

I mean for the price of ROG Strix 2070S O8G Gaming with just a little bit more which I can afford I can go with a Aorus 2080 Super 8G

5 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

ROG Strix 2070S O8G Gaming
Aorus 2070 Super 8G

there is a huge price difference between these two, if you are familiar with could you tell me if they are really that different?

I mean for the price of ROG Strix 2070S O8G Gaming with just a little bit more which I can afford I can go with a Aorus 2080 Super 8G

The performance difference might be 2-3% at most even when overclocking. Go with the cheaper one because like you said at that point you could just save up a bit more and get the 2080 Super, but you don't really need that.

Edit: Again, just do your research. Perhaps you'll come across one that's a great performer that is decently priced.

2 minutes ago, tishous said:

The performance difference might be 2-3% at most even when overclocking. Go with the cheaper one because like you said at that point you could just save up a bit more and get the 2080 Super, but you don't really need that.

Edit: Again, just do your research. Perhaps you'll come across one that's a great performer that is decently priced.

how big a difference is 2070 super vs 2080 super?

According to https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080S-Super-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super/4050vs4048 it is about 10% faster in the games you play. This doesn't justify the 25% increase in price. Also, 1080p wouldn't be able to use all of this graphical power anyway.