Ubuntu 20.04.1

My Plex server currently runs Ubuntu 18.04. I was wondering if 20.04.1 is a worthy upgrade. If so, any thing special I need to do before I install it? Keep the in mind my Plex library is stored on a NAS. Plex is the only thing this box is used for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Considering End of Standard Support is not until 2023, not particularly. You can find a table detailing the package difference between Ubuntu releases at https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu. If you do decide to upgrade to 20.04.1, consider backing up. I've lost one too many servers after upgrading to a major release.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

12 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

consider backing up

Nothing really to back up. All data is on a NAS, this box is basically a transcode box. But if Im good till 2023, I guess I wont rush it. 

Ubuntu 18.04 is getting extended support until 2028. Considering that's 8 years away, I don't think any hard drive is gonna survive 24/7 operation to see support end. I also have a server running 18.04 and I plan to continue using that version for the foreseeable future.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

7 hours ago, TheJooomes said:

I don't think any hard drive is gonna survive 24/7 operation to see support end

I have hard disks that are that old that work just fine. And for a better part of their lives they have been on 24/7. Plus, its not really about the power on time, but more about how hard the drive works. In my case, not very hard. The most I have is 3 users on my Plex server, and to be honest we also have other streaming providers. As such, most of the time Plex is used as an over glorified DVR.