2017 LG Gram Trackpad Issues

Greetings All,

I own a 2017 LG Gram (13Z980) and it has been my daily driver for the past 2 years. I use it for work and personal so it has seen a TON of use. A few weeks ago I noticed a spot form on my trackpad and thought it may have been a piece of dirt or whatever. I ran my fingernail lightly over top and ended up taking a good bit of the top coating off 🤦‍♂️. Its now wearing away at a pretty good rate probably due to finger oils decaying it and whatnot. (Attached Photo)

I've been searching for replacement trackpads but the closest thing I've been able to find is the whole deck assembly including the keyboard for like $200+, or purchasing a "for parts only" situation for even more. Does anyone know of a good place to get replacement trackpads that might have one for my machine? Given LG isn't huge in the laptop / computer manufacturing game, I'm realizing now that its difficult to find replacement parts.

Its an 8th Gen i7 with PLENTY of life left and it fits my needs perfectly, however (when I cant use my wireless), the uneven trackpad surface and now spotty tracking is driving me nuts. 

Thanks!

- Mvard

Trackpad DMG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mvard said:

Greetings All,

I own a 2017 LG Gram (13Z980) and it has been my daily driver for the past 2 years. I use it for work and personal so it has seen a TON of use. A few weeks ago I noticed a spot form on my trackpad and thought it may have been a piece of dirt or whatever. I ran my fingernail lightly over top and ended up taking a good bit of the top coating off 🤦‍♂️. Its now wearing away at a pretty good rate probably due to finger oils decaying it and whatnot. (Attached Photo)

I've been searching for replacement trackpads but the closest thing I've been able to find is the whole deck assembly including the keyboard for like $200+, or purchasing a "for parts only" situation for even more. Does anyone know of a good place to get replacement trackpads that might have one for my machine? Given LG isn't huge in the laptop / computer manufacturing game, I'm realizing now that its difficult to find replacement parts.

Its an 8th Gen i7 with PLENTY of life left and it fits my needs perfectly, however (when I cant use my wireless), the uneven trackpad surface and now spotty tracking is driving me nuts. 

Thanks!

- Mvard

Trackpad DMG.jpg

On 10/17/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mvard said:

Greetings All,

Thanks!

- Mvard

Trackpad DMG.jpg

Yes I bought the 13.3 inch 2017 lg gram i5 8th gen, and this exact same thing happened to my trackpad this year.(after 2 years of use)

It made me have to upgrade my laptop.
Ironically, i was about ot buy the 2020 lg gram 17 inch tomorrow. hopefully they improved the trackapd since then.