XPS 17 Graphics card issues

Hello!,

I am having issues at the moment with the GTX 2060 Max-Q in my XPS 17. Recently the computer stops recognizing and using said 2060, and instead uses the built-in Intel graphics. This happens without me doing anything, it just happens. I have tried installing and updating the drivers, but that only worked temporarily for some reason. Also my RAM usage is unusually high on idle (between 32%-41%). What do you guys recommend?

With Windows 10 laptops, it common that we have to search for "Graphics settings" in start menu, open it and manually tell our programs to use our dedicated graphics by finding our application and setting option to "High performance" 

2 hours ago, whovian276 said:

Hello!,

I am having issues at the moment with the GTX 2060 Max-Q in my XPS 17. Recently the computer stops recognizing and using said 2060, and instead uses the built-in Intel graphics. This happens without me doing anything, it just happens. I have tried installing and updating the drivers, but that only worked temporarily for some reason. Also my RAM usage is unusually high on idle (between 32%-41%). What do you guys recommend?

Depending on what build you're on, either Windows or the Nvidia Control Panel will dictate which applications use the dedicated GPU. Open up the Nvidia Control Panel and under 'Manage 3D Settings' should tell what is controlling what. Either way, you can specify which programs will use which GPU, but usually the defaults are pretty spot on. If I may, how can you tell when the dedicated GPU kicks on and off?

Concerning your RAM usage, that is a little a high so I'd check your startup processes and see what you don't need. Also get rid of programs that you don't use that may have come bundled with Windows. I mean right now I got Chrome and a few tabs open, Steam and several programs in the background and I'm at ~30% usage (16GB). So it's not abnormally high or anything but still worth looking at what's going on in the background.