New ultrawide monitor recommendations

FunkyJoker
Go to solution Solved by Deli,
2 hours ago, FunkyJoker said:

Oh I didn't know about this panel. It seems like a good option for a more "budget" ultrawide. Like I mentioned before, I might go for the LG 38GL950G-B, as I like the IPS color accuracy and it also has ok blacks I think.

Might look into more msi panels, I hadn't checked them out yet, thanks!

If you don't mind smaller 34"(vs 38"), LG 34GN850 is half the price of its bigger brother 38GL950.

Hey guys!

So I have been wanting an ultrawide monitor for ages now but never jumped the gun because to run them full capacity on games I enjoy (mostly cinematic RPGs) I would of needed the beefiest gpus in history. Now a few years later and a few more dollars in the pocket I can afford a new banging ultrawide monitor and GPU. Especially with the 3000 series Nvidia cards, I will soon have the power to enjoy that high refresh rate ultrawide gameplay.

However, monitor names are super confusing and I'm not sure which models are good/bad and why some cost 3000$ while others only 1000$. 

What I'm looking for as options is :

1. The ultimate 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor out there with no price limit (curious to see what it is) like the ASUS ROG PG35VQ type thing.

2. A couple options in the 1000-1800$ CAD price range that are 3440x1440, 120Hz+ and G-Sync and (if possible) hdr.

Thanks for the help!!!

J

I'm on my 4th ultrawide.  Went from 75hz Korean brand 3440x1440 to a 2560x1080 200hz gsync z35 predator to a Asus 3440x1440 100hz g sync pg348q to my newest  Acer Predator x35 200hz hdr 1000 g sync ultimate 3440x1440. 

None of the models are inherently bad, you just end up paying more for hz, g sync modules, hdr support, etc etc.  if you end up going the super expensive route I would recommend the predator x35 over the asus Pg35vq due to the fact the panels are essentially the same. The difference lies in that the asus has a DAC built in to the monitor(unnecessary unless you already don't have one). Here in the US, even though msrp on both is the same, you can regularly find the predator for 2-300$ cheaper.

Rig Main Parts

• i9 13900k
  • Z790 ROG Strix-E
  • Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
  • NZXT Z73RGB AIO
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mhz 16gbx2
  • MSI A1000G PCI5 ATX 3 1000w PSU
  • Lian Li 0-11 dynamic Razer 
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 1TB NVME
  • Sandisk Ultra 1TB NVME
  • OCZ Trion 150 1TB SSD
  • 5 additional TT pure plus rgb 120 fans

Monitors/Peripherals

• Acer Predator x35 - 3440x1440 / 200hz 
  • LG C1 48” OLED
  • Razer Huntsman Elite Keyboard
  • Razer Basilisk Ultimate Mouse
  • Shure SRH1540 headphones
  • Schiit Hel 2E Dac/Amp
  • Blue Yeti Mic
  • KRK Rokit 8 G4 monitors
  • KRK S10.4 Subwoofer
  • Razed Enki Gaming Chair
  • Philips Hue Gaming lights
  • Fanatec GT DD Pro 8nm w/shifter, handbrake, csl pedals/clutch, and wrc wheel on Next Level Racing F-GT lite
  • Razer Panthera StFV edition fight stick
  • Razer Goliathus RGB mousepad
  • Razer Wolverine Ultimate Controller
  • PS5 Disc

I've been shopping around and it seems like the MSi MPG341CQR seems like the best all around panel for the money. LG also have some good ones but they're all IPS panels with lower contrast ratios but maybe a little better pixel response. 

On 10/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, VadersDad said:

I'm on my 4th ultrawide.  Went from 75hz Korean brand 3440x1440 to a 2560x1080 200hz gsync z35 predator to a Asus 3440x1440 100hz g sync pg348q to my newest  Acer Predator x35 200hz hdr 1000 g sync ultimate 3440x1440. 

None of the models are inherently bad, you just end up paying more for hz, g sync modules, hdr support, etc etc.  if you end up going the super expensive route I would recommend the predator x35 over the asus Pg35vq due to the fact the panels are essentially the same. The difference lies in that the asus has a DAC built in to the monitor(unnecessary unless you already don't have one). Here in the US, even though msrp on both is the same, you can regularly find the predator for 2-300$ cheaper.

I was lingering on the LG 38GL950G-B which seems to be a nice panel. For the ones you mentioned, they are VA panels, and was wondering how much ghosting you get? Is it noticeable, or is it virtually undetectable?

Thanks for the suggestions, but they might be a little too pricey for me, as in Canada they are sold for 3000$+.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:19 AM, mwagen said:

I've been shopping around and it seems like the MSi MPG341CQR seems like the best all around panel for the money. LG also have some good ones but they're all IPS panels with lower contrast ratios but maybe a little better pixel response. 

Oh I didn't know about this panel. It seems like a good option for a more "budget" ultrawide. Like I mentioned before, I might go for the LG 38GL950G-B, as I like the IPS color accuracy and it also has ok blacks I think.

2 hours ago, FunkyJoker said:

If you don't mind smaller 34"(vs 38"), LG 34GN850 is half the price of its bigger brother 38GL950.

2 were ips, the other 2 VA.  The x35 I have now is VA and ghosting is a non issue for me, but on my 1080 z35 it was terrible.  And I would never suggest spending that much on a monitor, I did and I love it, but believe me I know it's stupid.  As for the LG 38, my buddy has one, it's really nice from what I've seen of it.  The only drawback for me was it's only hdr 400 if I'm not mistaken.  But for you that might not even matter.

Rig Main Parts

• i9 13900k
  • Z790 ROG Strix-E
  • Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
  • NZXT Z73RGB AIO
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mhz 16gbx2
  • MSI A1000G PCI5 ATX 3 1000w PSU
  • Lian Li 0-11 dynamic Razer 
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 1TB NVME
  • Sandisk Ultra 1TB NVME
  • OCZ Trion 150 1TB SSD
  • 5 additional TT pure plus rgb 120 fans

Monitors/Peripherals

• Acer Predator x35 - 3440x1440 / 200hz 
  • LG C1 48” OLED
  • Razer Huntsman Elite Keyboard
  • Razer Basilisk Ultimate Mouse
  • Shure SRH1540 headphones
  • Schiit Hel 2E Dac/Amp
  • Blue Yeti Mic
  • KRK Rokit 8 G4 monitors
  • KRK S10.4 Subwoofer
  • Razed Enki Gaming Chair
  • Philips Hue Gaming lights
  • Fanatec GT DD Pro 8nm w/shifter, handbrake, csl pedals/clutch, and wrc wheel on Next Level Racing F-GT lite
  • Razer Panthera StFV edition fight stick
  • Razer Goliathus RGB mousepad
  • Razer Wolverine Ultimate Controller
  • PS5 Disc

4 hours ago, Deli said:

Good suggestion, the price difference is really big for some reason, thank you for your suggestions

3 hours ago, VadersDad said:

2 were ips, the other 2 VA.  The x35 I have now is VA and ghosting is a non issue for me, but on my 1080 z35 it was terrible.  And I would never suggest spending that much on a monitor, I did and I love it, but believe me I know it's stupid.  As for the LG 38, my buddy has one, it's really nice from what I've seen of it.  The only drawback for me was it's only hdr 400 if I'm not mistaken.  But for you that might not even matter.

I've never had an HDR display and so for me it's something probably easy to give up. I also am prone to headaches when I look at bright screens too often so I think it would probably not be too good for me either. Especially at that price which is completely monstrous. Thank you for your suggestions !