Huawei Matebooks good?

Hi,

I recently bought a surface laptop 3 but have now realised that i can get a higher performing laptop for less if i get AMD. I am currently looking at this Huawei matebook 14 that is due tobe launched on the 20 of october.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-FullView-Display-Ultrabook/dp/B08HR4H9FM/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=huawei+matebook&qid=1602255084&sr=8-1

With the cist being so low for those specs and an all metal body it seems almost too good to be true so I am wondering whether its actually any good. 

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

If you want to upgrade, definitely not. IIRC the RAM is soldered-on and always has been on MateBooks, that's why I didn't choose one as I bought a new laptop last year. And if you want to buy one, go for the 16+512GB version. But that'll bump te price up 200 GBP. Otherwise, IIRC, they're supposedly very solid and perform relatively well on Notebookcheck.

I would be switching from this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-Ultra-Thin-Touchscreen-Platinum/dp/B07Y5H8WYW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=surface&qid=1602257465&sr=8-4

which also has soldered ram, which is no bug deal for me as i wouldnt be planning on upgrading it anyway. 8gb ram is fine for me, as is 256gb of storage so I guess my real question is whether they have a solid build and whether it wouldnt see too much of a performance hit compared with what i currently have as what i am really trying to do is save some money.

Yes matebook is superb for the price you get all metal body which very sleek & premium.

That has a 4600H (not U) i  don't even know if it exist.

For 750 is a steal.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

Wrong, the bottom cover, top cover and the screen cover are metal, the side covers (of the ports, the entire side part) and the hinges are plastic.

But the RAM speed is really disappointing, just 8+256GB and that for what would be 800-850€, I don't know if that is really so superb for the price, not to mention the, in my opinion, underpowered PSU. But if you want a Ryzen H-series (even though the U series will also treat you very good unless you run that thing full throttle, but given your old laptop that isn't the case) without a discrete GPU, this is legitimately the only laptop that comes with such a constellation.

I was previously looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-13-ay0008na-Touch-Screen-Convertible-Laptop/dp/B0877LFKQZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LG6SIH4JD4VY&dchild=1&keywords=hp+envy+x360&qid=1602260104&sprefix=hp+envy%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-3

but was told that HP laptops are really not good in terms of build quality and longevity.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

I don't know if it is still the case, but earlier Ryzen laptops by HP were totally crippled in performance and among the worst Ryzen-setups you could buy.

For the price I think i will get the huawei as it has all the features i want and if i preorder iget a free matepad and keyboard case for the matepad which i could sell which would make the laptop even cheaper.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

That's probably what I would do as well. Have fun with it once it arrives! :)

Thanks, Another selling point for me is the 2k screen with 100% srgb and touchscreen which seems very good at the price point.

55 minutes ago, Benji said:

100% sRGB is usually a marketing trick, every mid-end laptop nowadays has almost 100% sRGB and even more coverage. Not to mention that people who don't work professionally in photo/video editing would most likely never notice the colour space coverage or even the colour accuracy. But the aspect ratio is good, yes. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I have just seen that the 15 inch is £100 less and the only differences I can see are obviously screen size and 1080p rather than 2k as well as the side are metal rather than plastic adn that it uses U series chips. Seeing as i mostly use my laptop for content consumption and typing, with minimal cpu intensive tasks would that be a better option?

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

Good question. That one has a regular 1080p screen and a U-CPU (Ryzen 5-4500U), that will still perform well. But the battery is significantly smaller (56Wh on the 14" 4600H-driven one, just 42Wh on this 15" model). Should still be sufficient in my opinion. Other than that, there isn't that much difference besides the fact that it supposedly has a second storage slot for an HDD (the OS medium still being an SSD). I think you can go for that. If you're not satisfied with it, Amazon will give you a certain return period, right? Then return it and go for the bigger one if you think that will be better when you're not satisfied with that one. Apparently, that one is also included in the Huawei offer with the Matepad 10.4 and its keyboard.

I will consider that then but will probably go for the 14 as 1080p on a 15 inch panel for a laptop seems quite a low resolution.

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Whether it's 14 or 15 inch, doesn't make much difference. Also, the distance between a laptop and your face compared to a smartphone and your face is significantly higher, so you won't notice it. Well, I guess you could just guess it when they are standing side-by-side. But in terms of battery capacity and the fact that it has no USB2 ports (only USB3), I would go with the 14" anyway if I wanted to afford the premium.

I can afford the 14 so I will go for that one