CPU + Mobo Advice Please

ContraHacker
Go to solution Solved by Carbonado,
1 hour ago, ContraHacker said:

Will the B450 Tomahawk MAX be compatible with the 3300x? Also just for future planning, what GPU would you pair with this config? Something like a 1660Ti?

yes and yes, the mobo will support 3300x, and yes, you can pair upto a 2070 super without bottlenecks no doubt, and for your specs, a 1660ti or a 2060 should be perfect

Budget (including currency): 25,000 INR (Around $350)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Programming, Valorant, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Graphic Designing (Figma, Photoshop) and a few other games.

Other details:

I have:

• AMD R9 280x
  • 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance.
  • Antec 750W PSU
  • Storage: 3 x SATA HDDs, 1 x SATA 2.5" SSD and 1 x SATA m.2 SSD.

What I want to replace:

• i3 6100 @ 3.7 Ghz
  • Gigabyte B150M-DS3H Motherboard

Why:

3 out of 4 RAM slots seem to have died. The PC boots up only when the furthest stot is populated with one DIMM. The DIMMs were running at 2133 Mhz (Dual Channel) for around 4-5 years. Yesterday the PC got stuck in a boot cycle. I cleaned everything up. There was a lot of dust. Thermals aren't an issue. After removing one DIMM the PC started working. I checked both DIMMs in all 4 slots. Both DIMMs work but only when placed in the last slot.

If there's a troubleshooting step I can try, please suggest otherwise, I am thinking of going Ryzen. Please suggest me a CPU + Mobo Combo which works with my existing RAM, GPU and Storage.

Side Note:  The PC started locking up hard 3 days ago after I shuffled some fans around. Powering it off and on was the only way of fixing it. The crash happened only when I paused a YouTube video and left it for a few seconds. Otherwise, I played some Far Cry 5 no problem with all 16Gbs of memory. Last night it just refused to boot up, I left it and went to sleep. I have now booted up the PC and am using it to make this post.

47 minutes ago, ContraHacker said:

Budget (including currency): 25,000 INR (Around $350)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Programming, Valorant, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Graphic Designing (Figma, Photoshop) and a few other games.

Other details:

I have:

• AMD R9 280x
  • 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance.
  • Antec 750W PSU
  • Storage: 3 x SATA HDDs, 1 x SATA 2.5" SSD and 1 x SATA m.2 SSD.

What I want to replace:

• i3 6100 @ 3.7 Ghz
  • Gigabyte B150M-DS3H Motherboard

Why:

3 out of 4 RAM slots seem to have died. The PC boots up only when the furthest stot is populated with one DIMM. The DIMMs were running at 2133 Mhz (Dual Channel) for around 4-5 years. Yesterday the PC got stuck in a boot cycle. I cleaned everything up. There was a lot of dust. Thermals aren't an issue. After removing one DIMM the PC started working. I checked both DIMMs in all 4 slots. Both DIMMs work but only when placed in the last slot.

If there's a troubleshooting step I can try, please suggest otherwise, I am thinking of going Ryzen. Please suggest me a CPU + Mobo Combo which works with my existing RAM, GPU and Storage.

Side Note:  The PC started locking up hard 3 days ago after I shuffled some fans around. Powering it off and on was the only way of fixing it. The crash happened only when I paused a YouTube video and left it for a few seconds. Otherwise, I played some Far Cry 5 no problem with all 16Gbs of memory. Last night it just refused to boot up, I left it and went to sleep. I have now booted up the PC and am using it to make this post.

Heyy so are you very intent on shifting to Intel or are you fine with sticking to AMD? 

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

2 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

Heyy so are you very intent on shifting to Intel or are you fine with sticking to AMD? 

I'm already on Intel. I am running an i3 6100. I want to switch over to AMD. If Intel has better options for me then I'll stick with Intel.

Just now, ContraHacker said:

I'm already on Intel. I am running an i3 6100. I want to switch over to AMD. If Intel has better options for me then I'll stick with Intel.

Oh alright..in that case i suggest you go for the Ryzen 5 2600 ( Around 12500 inr ) and the MSI b450 Tomahawk MAX, a very reputable budget motherboard ( Currently on sale for inr 11500 ), if you can push your budget up a bit, you can try the Ryzen 7 2700 ( 2 more cores and 4 more threads, comes around 16500 inr)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

58 minutes ago, ContraHacker said:

Programming, Valorant, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Graphic Designing (Figma, Photoshop) and a few other games.

Also, if you want to go for more gaming performance specifically, then around the same price as the 2600, you can get the Ryzen 3 3300x, which has better GAMING performance than the r5 2600, but 2 lesser cores and 4 lesser threads

7 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

Also, if you want to go for more gaming performance specifically, then around the same price as the 2600, you can get the Ryzen 3 3300x, which has better GAMING performance than the r5 2600, but 2 lesser cores and 4 lesser threads

Will the B450 Tomahawk MAX be compatible with the 3300x? Also just for future planning, what GPU would you pair with this config? Something like a 1660Ti?

Will the B450 Tomahawk MAX be compatible with the 3300x?

yes. But it might need a bios update

yes and yes, the mobo will support 3300x, and yes, you can pair upto a 2070 super without bottlenecks no doubt, and for your specs, a 1660ti or a 2060 should be perfect

37 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

Thanks dude! I have decided to go for the 3300x with an amazon renewed ASRock B450 Pro4 which I found for 8,499. I will make a no compromises PC in the future when I have the money for it. For now, a 3300x is a huge upgrade from my 6100.

1 minute ago, ContraHacker said:

Thanks dude! I have decided to go for the 3300x with an amazon renewed ASRock B450 Pro4 which I found for 8,499. I will make a no compromises PC in the future when I have the money for it. For now, a 3300x is a huge upgrade from my 6100.

You're welcome! Also, check out the msi brom pro vdh max which is around the same price, but nonetheless, glad I could help! :)