SSL, TLS, HTTPS

So, my understanding is that SSL is old, insecure, and should not be used. TLS 1.3 is what should be used. However, in doing some reading from recent reputable sources, they talk about SSL as if that is what you should be using. I also read something that made it seem like only SSL can provide that secure portion of HTTPS. Is that correct?

I also read something that made me think that SSL could also be a "catch all" term and that TLS can be used to secure a SSL certificate. 

Can someone clear this up for me? 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:23 PM, RoboTechGaming said:

So, my understanding is that SSL is old, insecure, and should not be used. TLS 1.3 is what should be used. However, in doing some reading from recent reputable sources, they talk about SSL as if that is what you should be using. I also read something that made it seem like only SSL can provide that secure portion of HTTPS. Is that correct?

I also read something that made me think that SSL could also be a "catch all" term and that TLS can be used to secure a SSL certificate. 

Can someone clear this up for me? 

I just did some quick research and it seems like TLS is just an updated and more secure version of SSL. However, they still call the certificates SSL certificates as that is the commonly used term. Also the HTTPS appears when an SSL certificate is activated on your website. Keep in mind I did quick research and double check for your self. Hope this helps.