Should I upgrade?

bwskillz
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

US Dollars?

I guess I can reword it as "Do I need to upgrade my base components to be free of major bottlenecks, or can I get away with just the Graphics card?"

Your current cpu won't bottleneck any gpu.  There's no point in upgrading it. You could just grab a 770 or 780 and a ssd if you don't have one already. 

So I have been out of the whole computer scene for about a year or 2  :o  so I am not "up-to-date" on what is out there, and I am planning on upgrading unless it is completely not necessary. I plan on upgrading graphics card + monitor (for sure), and mobo + cpu. So instead of searching through endless videos and/or forums, etc. I was wondering if one of you would be able to give me a quick "crash course" on whats new or just give me some suggestions on what to get. If it doesn't make sense to upgrade the mobo and cpu I won't and use extra money on the graphics card. I already know what monitor I want. I currently am running an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 with an i5-2500k @ ~4.5GHz and GTX 570. And if it helps i have 8GB G.skill Ripjaws-x RAM. I got all of these right before ivy bridge came out. I am also an Intel and NVIDIA Fanboy  :D  but I am open to AMD graphics. I'm assuming around $500 budget... but I am open to whatever :)  .

Thanks for your help,

BWSKILLZ

your cpu is perfectly fine...anything you buy as far as a newer cpu wont be much of an upgrade really. 

keep the cpu for at least another year. Sell the 570 for like $100 and buy a GTX 770 or maybe a 780 or a R9 290 depending on the price for a non reference. Would recommend the 780/r9 290 if your new monitor is higher than 1080p. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

alright from what I was reading that seemed to be the case. Am I good to upgrade GPU with the same mobo? No PCI issues, etc.

alright from what I was reading that seemed to be the case. Am I good to upgrade GPU with the same mobo? No PCI issues, etc.

no even with PCI-e 2.0 I think that's right for z68, you won't be affected. And as long as you have a good power supply you'll be fine

I forgot to mention that it may be worth while to wait for the next generation Nvidia cards if you  really don't have to upgrade. Although this is tough because no one really knows when they will be available, and if you forever there will always be new stuff just around the corner anyway. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I think the PSU might result a bigger issue for upgrading GPU than the motherboard.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

no even with PCI-e 2.0 I think that's right for z68, you won't be affected. And as long as you have a good power supply you'll be fine

I forgot to mention that it may be worth while to wait for the next generation Nvidia cards if you  really don't have to upgrade. Although this is tough because no one really knows when they will be available, and if you forever there will always be new stuff just around the corner anyway. 

I future proofed as much as possible when I made my rig, got 750W which was way more than I needed at the time and I was planning on water cooling but that didn't happen (so i have a very open Corsair 800D lol) so I should be fine.

What's the system being used for? 

What kind of dollars are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What's the system being used for? 

What kind of dollars are you using?

Gaming, I'm thinking around $350 for GPU alone if possible, otherwise up to $650 for mobo, CPU, and GPU.

Gaming, I'm thinking around $350 for GPU alone if possible, otherwise up to $650 for mobo, CPU, and GPU.

Don't allocate separate funds for each part unless you're asking for an unbalanced build. 

Also, do answer my second question.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't allocate separate funds for each part unless you're asking for an unbalanced build. 

Also, do answer my second question.

US Dollars?

I guess I can reword it as "Do I need to upgrade my base components to be free of major bottlenecks, or can I get away with just the Graphics card?"

US Dollars?

Your current cpu won't bottleneck any gpu.  There's no point in upgrading it. You could just grab a 770 or 780 and a ssd if you don't have one already.