PG279Q Calibration failure

Sahl
Go to solution Solved by tikker,

Panels can differ between each other, so even at the same settings the picture can look different. The only way to be sure is to do a proper calibration with a colorimeter, otherwise take those settings as a starting point and tune it to what you think looks best.

Hi all

Today I got yet another replacement monitor (I had my first shipped to repair, then got a replacement with huge issues like damage to the filter, much backlight bleed, etc)

But this new monitor is rather weird. It does have alot of IPS glow, but nothing I can´t live with, but when I calibrate it to the usual settings

Racing mode - 47 b 47 c - R 100 G 95 B 95 - The colours seems abit meh.. I would not say washed out, but not as lively as on the other two panels. The screen also seems alot darker, as in these settings seems alot darker, than the other panels I had. Do I need to get some monitor device..... or can I test this in another way, if the stuff is correct? I use Display port btw and I have tried to click on nvidia to choose it and select full range under the settings, but that did no difference at all.

So any good advice? or do I maybe have to either live with it or endure yet another RMA "gamble"...

I might showcase some pictures later on, if needed.

Panels can differ between each other, so even at the same settings the picture can look different. The only way to be sure is to do a proper calibration with a colorimeter, otherwise take those settings as a starting point and tune it to what you think looks best.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

Alright. But even with tinkering around, it feels so "dark" and when I turn contrast or brightness higher, it becomes way to much and ruin the colours.. I guess I might have to just up it a tiny bit and maybe live with the tiny bit darker feel to it. (when I say darker, I mean that the colours were might brighter earlier on the other panels)

TY for the suggestion. I will see if I can get a colorimeter to test abit.

3 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Alright. But even with tinkering around, it feels so "dark" and when I turn contrast or brightness higher, it becomes way to much and ruin the colours.. I guess I might have to just up it a tiny bit and maybe live with the tiny bit darker feel to it. (when I say darker, I mean that the colours were might brighter earlier on the other panels)

TY for the suggestion. I will see if I can get a colorimeter to test abit.

Up the backlight if possible? Otherwise I don't know. If it's significantly different to the point you think something is actually wrong with the panel I'd try an RMA again. Althought that's probably not what you'd enjoy after, from what it sounds like, several already.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Up the backlight if possible? Otherwise I don't know. If it's significantly different to the point you think something is actually wrong with the panel I'd try an RMA again. Althought that's probably not what you'd enjoy after, from what it sounds like, several already.

Indeed not.. If I don´t have to I don´t want to.. even the minor IPS glow and abit of backlight bleeding at the upper right corner is acceptable tbh.. The whole rma is kinda a lottery, since it is just refurbished monitors you get.. Basically I could get something much worse next time.

I don´t think you can up the backlight, atleast I have not seen any option for it.

I reckon I will test it out and see if it can be ignored or tinkered enough with to be acceptable.. Maybe I can even get some of the glow and/or BB away (if I put a tiny pressure on the panel it goes away entirely)

After much tinkering I seem to maybe have found an acceptable colour scheme.. I had to tinker alot to make it similar to the old panel and it is still abit "darker" but well what can you expect from a price like this. I will make sure to use a colourimeter if I ever get my hands on one. Ty for the advice and help tikker, I reckon going away from all those online guides and instead tweaking it myself helped abit.

20200822_131007.thumb.jpg.26d8b2703ea918a0edc8bfea33923de4.jpg