2PC's, one case (2nd attempt)

Alphabear1978

I've used most of the components before but by working from home all the time, and I spend most of the time switching between my work pc and my gaming pc, it made sense to rebuild my systems.  There are still some flaws with the build and I took an other gamble with the fluid (Primochill Vue) but this is my current setup.

PC1

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

ASROCK X399 Taichi

48 GB of Ballistix 2400 Mhz CL 16 (will be 64 soon when the defective memory has been replaced)

NVidia GTX 1660 Super

1 TB Samsung EVO 970 Plus

250 GB Samsung generic SSD

Corsair XR5 240 Radiator

Corsair XC9 Water block

Corsair XD5 Reservoir/Pump combo

PC2

AMD Ryzen 3950x

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI Mini-ITX

32 GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 Mhz CL 16

NVidia RTX 2080

500 GB Samsung EVO 970

1 TB Samsung EVO 860

Corsair XR5 360 Radiator

Corsair XR5 120 Radiator

Corsair XC7 Water block

Corsair XD5 Reservoir/Pump combo

Phanteks Entho 719

4 Corsair 120 LL fans

5 Noctua NF-F12 fans

Corsair Commander Pro

Phanteks Revolt X 1200W 80 plus Platinum 

IMG_0312_(2).jpg

Just looking at the build, I don't really understand your need for separate work and gaming rigs, though I don't know your work/requirement.

I also use a 3950X as it was the perfect cpu for work and play.

It looks like the only thing your threadripper has over the 3950x in most applications are lanes but you're not really using them, aside from this you'll have double the RAM but again you could quite easily have 64 on the 3950x rig.

If I was to really need separate work/gaming setups I'd have gone for Intel with gaming as the higher clock speeds are just better than the 3950x.

Could you let us know why you need the work system when the 3950x would (in most scenarios) just be far superior anyway?

Just so it helps us understand the build better :)

1 hour ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

Just looking at the build, I don't really understand your need for separate work and gaming rigs, though I don't know your work/requirement.

I also use a 3950X as it was the perfect cpu for work and play.

It looks like the only thing your threadripper has over the 3950x in most applications are lanes but you're not really using them, aside from this you'll have double the RAM but again you could quite easily have 64 on the 3950x rig.

If I was to really need separate work/gaming setups I'd have gone for Intel with gaming as the higher clock speeds are just better than the 3950x.

Could you let us know why you need the work system when the 3950x would (in most scenarios) just be far superior anyway?

Just so it helps us understand the build better :)

I'm a fulltime assistant professor teaching in an Information Systems department.  Part of my job is research and for this I need a computer that is adaptable to the needs of the day.  One day I'm doing some data crunching and I use all 16 cores together with the cuda cores of the 1660 to solve some problems.  The next day I'll be spinning up multiple VM's to create a lab environment so I can design labs for my students.  The students themselves will work in the cloud but due to cost savings I create all the VM's offline and port them over to Hyper-V in the cloud later.  For my second job, freelance Enterprise Architect, I try to have an environment that can mimic the clients environment and see if the proposed solution will work and give the proposed advantages.  This again requires some VM's to spin up.

As the 1950X runs VM's and memory management and CPU allocation  is much better on a Threadripper, it's for me a no brainer to keep using this machine.  In many of the situations I don't require raw speed, just flexibility.  If needed I can still upgrade this to a 32 core 2990wx, but prices for these are still extremely insane.  

And this is where the 3950x comes into play.  Sometimes I need more cores, there has been instances I'm allocating 26 cores or more for a project, and now it is easy to have them all in the same case.  I could have gone with 2 * 1950x or 2nd gen Threadripper, but if I want to game on it also, a 3950x was the logic choice.

My former setup in this case was a 3950x and a 9900k, with the 1950x in a different case but I realized that I was using the 1950x and 3950x constantly and hardly used the 9900k.  Now the 9900k will be in his own case and will be used by others in the house as gaming pc.

While I understand your remark about going Intel, they are so far behind in offering versatility that it does not make sense for most people to invest in Intel CPU's (and before anyone says something, nope I'm not an AMD fanboy).  For example, most people are running a 1080p or 1440p monitor at 60Hz.  Most CPU's with a very good GPU will hit those frames without any problem.  Many game developers are gearing towards more threats as are programs like photo editing or decompression software, so maybe 3700x is slower than a 9700k (and yes I compare 3rd gen Ryzen with 9th gen Intel because that is what came out around the same time), in cases where multi threating becomes more important, it outshines the 9700k every time.

Not sure if this answers your question.