Thunderbolt Switches (Not KVMs)?

RobV1306

Hey Guys,

I'm currently in the process of moving my rig into a new office for the missus and I. However, the office is going to be just that - an office. I've therefore agreed that it's not for playing games and that I'll use our loft conversion for that.

To do that, I figure it's best to have the PC downstairs with normal monitors and peripherals etc, while I have the games room set up upstairs. To link the office and the loft conversion, I figure it's best to use thunderbolt 3. However, this brings me to the topic - I want to have 2 separate sim setups made up in the loft conversion which I can switch between. Let me explain a little further.

I like to play sim games, both racing and flying and I've built proper rigs for these in the past. Obviously, a racing sim rig is different to a flight sim rig and so will be physically set up in a different part of the room. What I'm looking for here is the ability to switch between the two.

If I just had one sim, it'd be easy - run thunderbolt cable upstairs, plug in a second keyboard and mouse, displays etc and then simply use windows in-built monitor switching to turn monitors upstairs/downstairs on and off. So far so easy. But what I'd actually like to do is have a thunderbolt switch (I don't think a KVM is right here since I think that goes the other way - one set of peripherals for 2 PCs, not 1 PC for 2 sets of peripherals) for me to be able to select between the racing sim being essentially "plugged in" and the flight sim being "plugged in". Problem is, whenever I search for thunderbolt switches, KVMs come up.

Can anyone give me some advice on products I could use to be able to switch between the racing rig and the flight rig?

Any more detail needed, let me know.

Cheers!

Rob

As far as I can tell nothing like that exists. You could attach each setup to a thunderbolt dock and just switch the thunderbolt cable manually, not ideal but if you put the docks near each other it won't be too much more effort than an A/B switch.

I should mention that thunderbolt 3 only works up to about 5 meters, so unless the computer is directly below the sim setup you'll need to switch to thunderbolt 2 with an add in card and use expensive optical thunderbolt 2 cables. Thunderbolt docks also don't support more than 2 displays, so you'll need to figure out a way around that issue. I think displays can be daisy chained, but they need to support it and that's not a very common feature from what I can tell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Thanks Bob. Not the answer I wanted really but a very helpful one nonetheless. Looks like I might have to explore optical stuff. I was hoping not to have to.

Any different suggestions as to how I might achieve my desired setup?