I think I corrupted my OS drive - sort of

I have 64 bit Windows 7, and I run it off of a 240 GB Samsung EVO SSD (full system at bottom). I was recently exploring Dogecoin Mining with my 7950 (I have absolutely no experience with crypto-currency, by the way). I left it running for a couple hours and when I came back, my system had crashed. I restarted the computer and everything seemed fine, but my anti-virus software was telling my that my licensing information was incorrect because it was corrupted or something along those lines. After fiddling with that for a while, I restarted again. This time, Windows couldn't boot because a registry file was corrupt or missing. I used my Windows install CD to restore my operating system (note that I accidentally restored the operating system on my old hard drive first and managed to boot into that one before returning to my current operating system).

At this point, I boot back into my normal operating system. However, as it was booting up I skipped the CHKDSK because I was too eager to see if my operating system worked. I managed to boot into it just fine multiple times, but Windows Explorer always continually stopped working after a few seconds of desktop interactivity and it only ever took five minutes to blue-screen. I decided to let CHKDSK run its course.

Now my operating system doesn't crash and my anti-virus software from above works as it should (I found some trojans, but they were from May 2013 when I recall manually stomping on a virus so this is almost definitely not the issue). However, windows explorer stops working every time I do something new. It's like it's rediscovering what it can do. The first time I tried to open a file, it crashed. The second time, it opened the file. The first time I tried to launch Eclipse (Java workspace), it told my it couldn't. The second time, it worked. I tried to manage my computer (Start menu> right click Computer> Manage), and Windows Management Console stopped working. The second time, a window popped up and it stopped working again. The third time, it worked.

I don't think I've lost any important files, but am I just going to have to let Windows figure everything out for the first time until my computer is fine again? Is this almost-corruption normal when a system crash like the first one I had happens?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks for muddling through my paragraphs.

Edit: apparently can't shut down properly either. Just goes to the login screen where I can't log in and none of the buttons do anything. I have to force power off. Edit 2: second shut down went fine.

Full system specs:

i5 3350p CPU

Radeon HD 7950 GPU

MSI LGA 1155 Intel B75MA-P45 Motherboard

SeaSonic G series 550 Watt PSU

more specific stuff available upon request

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

You skipped CHKDSK, but did you do it after?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

You skipped CHKDSK, but did you do it after?

Yes, I did it after booting twice or so.

Yes, I did it after booting twice or so.

Hmm nothing like a good Windows reinstall wouldn't hurt :P If S.M.A.R.T checks out fine, then I guess the easiest way is to just reinstall. Though I have no clue how mining corrupted your system :(

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Hmm nothing like a good Windows reinstall wouldn't hurt :P If S.M.A.R.T checks out fine, then I guess the easiest way is to just reinstall. Though I have no clue how mining corrupted your system :(

I've done reinstalls before, but...all those save files...hundreds of gigs of games to reinstall...the hunt for drivers and all my software and all that nit-pique-y configuration...is this the only way?

I have not used this specific SSD's but your symptoms are very similar to what I experienced with early 60GB OCZ SSD's

While the drive is doing garbage collection it becomes unavailable to the system resulting in some very strange pauses and in worse case lockup the system or loose data.

Out of 4 drives I purchased only 1 has survived being used as an OS drive.

My recommendation is to leave the system at a BIOS screen overnight to allow Garbage collection to complete, this should restore the system stability.

One of my drives took 2 weeks before it was usable again, newer drives should not have this issue but there are always exceptions.

Did some research on Dogecoin Mining its intended for nVidia Cards specific to Cuda. But you list ATI Cards hmmm.

Lastly its possible (but not probable) the mining was cause heaps of small but frequent writes to your SSD.

I would advise moving the OS page file to a spinning disk to reduce thrashing of your SSD.

I've done reinstalls before, but...all those save files...hundreds of gigs of games to reinstall...the hunt for drivers and all my software and all that nit-pique-y configuration...is this the only way?

Not sure if it is, but it's normally how I solve my problems :P. Before I had a 2 storage drive config, I used to create partitions for games so that if and when I have to do a Windows reinstallation (due to perhaps resetting trial softwares :P), I wouldn't have to backup my files/games.

My recommendation is to leave the system at a BIOS screen overnight to allow Garbage collection to complete, this should restore the system stability.

Just leaving the system on BIOS will let Garbage Collection happen? Sounds good, I'll try it.

Not sure if it is, but it's normally how I solve my problems :P. Before I had a 2 storage drive config, I used to create partitions for games so that if and when I have to do a Windows reinstallation (due to perhaps resetting trial softwares :P), I wouldn't have to backup my files/games.

I've got a couple of my steam games on my terabyte hard drive, can I just tell steam to look there? Could I use some fancy software or stuff to back up my current games in program files so I don't have to download them over the internet again?

Sorry for all the question marks. Thanks, all.

Just leaving the system on BIOS will let Garbage Collection happen? Sounds good, I'll try it.

I've got a couple of my steam games on my terabyte hard drive, can I just tell steam to look there? Could I use some fancy software or stuff to back up my current games in program files so I don't have to download them over the internet again?

Sorry for all the question marks. Thanks, all.

Yup

f8b86c5454e6d667f86fafc6e28e39b7.png

and yup:

9b5935cad49ac8c09cbbb4b2dc6d04df.png

Yes leaving system at bios does not do any reading or writing to any drives so this allows the drive to do an internal "defrag" This Wikipedia article explains

With backing up non steam games.
  • Backup game files
  • Begin installation/download (sets up registry and such)
  • Cancel installation/download ( may need to use taskmanger to end process to avoid roll back)
  • Copy Backup over the top of the new partially installed game.

This will work with most titles but not all of them, you can Google "how to backup GAME TITLE" for specific instructions.