Storage Problems

Prian

Hey, I have a few issues regarding storage, Ill start of by saying that i have a lot of movies and tv that I would rather not delete, I also have a lot of pictures and videos from things like family holidays and weddings.

Here is my setup currently:

Internal:

128gb SSD - OS, Main programs, couple of games (no issues, staying as it is)

500gb HDD - all other programs and games which are not on SSD, also music and documents

1TB HDD - Tv shows and fraps footage

External:

1.5TB HDD - Movies, pictures, my own video footage and program setup files, backups of documents and music.

I am running out of space and I would rather buy another drive than delete stuff, so here is my problem, is there a way of sorting this mess out with purchasing only one drive and also setting up regular backups of my documents?

Its not a huge loss if a drive fails and I only loose movies or tv, its just my documents and holiday videos and pictures.

I was thinking of buying a 3tb external for around £90, and then taking apart my old external and setting up some sort of raid array with the 1tb for my media only although, I have never used raid before, the performance is not an issue its just capacity.

Sorry for the essay, I just cant figure out a good way to sort this out so I'm slowly deleting things that I haven't used in a while or aren't a massive loss to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any suggestions would be helpful :)

I am running out of space

On your internal or external drive? If internal, then buy another drive suitable for those needs (maybe just get another internal drive if possible). If external, buy an external drive suitable for those needs.

Are you backing up your important stuff? It just looks like the docs and music are being backed up, what about family pictures and videos?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

On both currently, I would like both movies and Tv shows in one place, and all my docs and family pictures and videos in a separate place, and then a backup of just the second half.

I am currently only able to backup documents and music, I only have one set of pictures and videos on this external.

there is probably a really simple solution to this, im just not seeing it :P

Thanks for the response

[EDIT] The reason I was thinking of the 3TB HDD was for backup, so I could use a raid array internally for most of my other stuff, im just not sure about what type of array would be best and how to even set one up.

if you really want your data safe i would recomend to use a NAS with 2 HHDs on RAID1(for redundancy) or make a small file server. I dont trust external hard drives :P.
You can move all your data to the NAS (or server) and it will be safer than having all on diferent HDDs.

To make regularly backups you can use Acronis True Image.

My english isn't perfect :D sorry

I would recommend a 4 bay NAS to get the option of using raid 5 redundency & space.