New cpu help

Got a new cpu ryzen 7 3800x upgraded from ryzen 5 3600. Put it together and when I try and boot I get a solid dram light with all the fans spinning. I also tried to do a bios update with a flash drive with mother board b450 tomahawk. I do the bios update with the flash drive the motherboard light up cpu light is red for about 4 seconds shuts off and then the bios flash light flashes 3 times then stays solid red until I try something else. When I went to put the old cpu back in to see what could be the problem the old cpu is doing the exact same as the new one is now.

1 minute ago, Jsfeltner said:

Got a new cpu ryzen 7 3800x upgraded from ryzen 5 3600. Put it together and when I try and boot I get a solid dram light with all the fans spinning. I also tried to do a bios update with a flash drive with mother board b450 tomahawk. I do the bios update with the flash drive the motherboard light up cpu light is red for about 4 seconds shuts off and then the bios flash light flashes 3 times then stays solid red until I try something else. When I went to put the old cpu back in to see what could be the problem the old cpu is doing the exact same as the new one is now.

Did you look at the update? For my B350 (not the same chipset but still) It specifically says for my not to update if im using x chips. AND there was also a thing that said for me to upgrade to 4.xx before I upgrade to anything newer. AKA sometimes you gotta upgrade mid way and then upgrade again all the way. So simply did you look at all the details of the updates? did you just grab the newest one? Haven't looked at that mobo but that's what comes to my head.

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Did you look at the update? For my B350 (not the same chipset but still) It specifically says for my not to update if im using x chips. AND there was also a thing that said for me to upgrade to 4.xx before I upgrade to anything newer. AKA sometimes you gotta upgrade mid way and then upgrade again all the way. So simply did you look at all the details of the updates? did you just grab the newest one? Haven't looked at that mobo but that's what comes to my head.

Don’t see anything about not using any chipset it alls looks good on there. I guess I’ll try and upgrade mid way see if that does anything

6 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

Try removing power, clearing the CMOS, leave unplugged for 5-10 minutes, and attempt to boot up with the 3600.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

8 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

Don’t see anything about not using any chipset it alls looks good on there. I guess I’ll try and upgrade mid way see if that does anything

Dont downgrade it. If you upgraded all the way and its the problem then we need to be sure first. So how did you update the bios? Did you just grab the newest one? Also try what svmlegacy said first that would solve pretty much every other isssue.

6 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Dont downgrade it. If you upgraded all the way and its the problem then we need to be sure first. So how did you update the bios? Did you just grab the newest one? Also try what svmlegacy said first that would solve pretty much every other isssue.

I tried what he said and I had the same result with it being stuck on a solid red dram light. And yea I did grab the newest one on the website

5 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

I tried what he said and I had the same result with it being stuck on a solid red dram light. And yea I did grab the newest one on the website

And you left the cmos battery out for the whole 10 minutes? I looked at the bios site and it doesn't have the same thing as mine. AKA everything should just work. Are you sure the bios updated? Looking at a youtube video I found this 50eae0f174ee52d305f65b23d3bcfea8.png.709548758976f39f95305e315940ba99.png

EDIT: supposedly the red light can mean that the mobo doesn't support that cpu and OR something isn't correct with the bios flash meaning make sure you flash it correctly. Note I don't have that mobo and most of the stuff I can find giving information can be quite conflicting with other information.

4 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

And you left the cmos battery out for the whole 10 minutes? I looked at the bios site and it doesn't have the same thing as mine. AKA everything should just work. Are you sure the bios updated? Looking at a youtube video I found this 50eae0f174ee52d305f65b23d3bcfea8.png.709548758976f39f95305e315940ba99.png

I left it out for like 5 minutes, I’m leaving it out for 10 now but I renamed the file but I don’t know what flash drive I have. I don’t even know what a fat32 formatted flash drive is so I’ll look at it. But I’m pretty sure I used that exact same flash drive when I updated my bios 2 years ago or so. Ok so the flash drive is a fat32 flash drive thing

2 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

I left it out for like 5 minutes, I’m leaving it out for 10 now but I renamed the file but I don’t know what flash drive I have. I don’t even know what a fat32 formatted flash drive is so I’ll look at it. But I’m pretty sure I used that exact same flash drive when I updated my bios 2 years ago or so

When you go to format the drive in windows it gives you options and fat32 is one of the options. Hopefully the video kinda helps.

5 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

When you go to format the drive in windows it gives you options and fat32 is one of the options. Hopefully the video kinda helps.

Yea it is fat32 by default on the flash drive. I’m going to try and update with a little older bios update see if that does anything. Good news it’s updating with the slightly older version of the bios

6 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

Yea it is fat32 by default on the flash drive. I’m going to try and update with a little older bios update see if that does anything. Good news it’s updating with the slightly older version of the bios

im not the biggest fan of flashbacks but if it works then it works. Lets hope it was just a bad bios update attempt and it starts working.

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

im not the biggest fan of flashbacks but if it works then it works. Lets hope it was just a bad bios update attempt and it starts working.

Ok so it updated or whatever restarted turned back on but it’s back on a solid dram light. Do you think upgrading back up to the newest version could fix it?

9 minutes ago, Jsfeltner said:

Ok so it updated or whatever restarted turned back on but it’s back on a solid dram light. Do you think upgrading back up to the newest version could fix it?

So all you did was take out the cpu and put in a new one and then the issue started after the problems started you updated the bios. The issue still persisted so you swapped back to the old cpu and the issue still persisted. You didn't touch the ram or unplug anything?

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

So all you did was take out the cpu and put in a new one and then the issue started after the problems started you updated the bios. The issue still persisted so you swapped back to the old cpu and the issue still persisted. You didn't touch the ram or unplug anything?

I got a new case probably should mentioned that aswell so yes I unplugged everything but it’s all in the right spot and fully plugged in

Just now, Jsfeltner said:

I got a new case probably should mentioned that aswell so yes I unplugged everything but it’s all in the right spot and fully plugged in

...... Check every connection you have. cpu power, 8 pin, 24 pin, and everything else make sure its all fully connected. Make sure everything is correct after besides checking if the cpu is seated correctly I honestly am getting out of ideas.

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

...... Check every connection you have. cpu power, 8 pin, 24 pin, and everything else make sure its all fully connected. Make sure everything is correct after besides checking if the cpu is seated correctly I honestly am getting out of ideas.

Ok I think ram was slightly out so I fixed that so now when I try and boot it the dram light is off but now the cpu is now lit red 

The pins are all good on the cpu so it’s not a bent pin, ram is all in good cpu is in all good so idk someone help

1 hour ago, Jsfeltner said:

Bump

Sorry was making dinner. Simply put there isn't much besides look for something that's unplugged or not fully plugged in. Either the mobo broke when you switched cases or something else broke when you switched cases. I mean im being honest with you as that's all I can assume. Sorry I can't be of more help.