Dransk

So I have, well had the following system 

Hyper 212

MSI ski krait 

GTX 1070

32gb ram 

Months back the PC crashed and then would keep crashing so I replaced the SSD 

Then I couldn't write to hdd anymore so I replaced the hard drive 

The other day the PC crashed during Witcher 3 and then when I would turn it on it would go into os working for 10 secs then crash 

So I dismantled it tried every dimm slot and all that and to no avail I actually ended getting error 99 on boot. I completely dismantled the PC cleared cmos and then wouldn't even boot 

Now I have the PC on the table dismantled, using a ram stick from another PC have tried disconnecting everything and wouldn't even display anything except one time. So then I randomly decided to try a different CPU my old Pentium g3258 and the Pc is in os and has not crashed. 

Is there any hope of reviving the CPU:

I've cleaned thermal compound multiple times

I have reseated the CPU multiple times 

Tried different coolers 

Different os drives 

Different graphics card

Cleared cmos

Please help me if you can, I appreciate you reading this far I know it's a long post but I wanted to demonstrate have exhaustive I have tried to be with my trouble shooting. Thank you 

If it is dead it's okay I guess it has lasted me 5 years I bought it new. I'm gonna upgrade to Ryzen 4th gen, I hope it's worth the wait :)

Does the fans spin up? Does any light come on (if you have any)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

25 minutes ago, Dransk said:

<snip>

Was it OC'd? I've got a dead 4790K that spent all it's life at 4.7 GHz. Life well lived.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

18 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Does the fans spin up? Does any light come on (if you have any)

Yeah man all fans spin and all lights turn on 

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Was it OC'd? I've got a dead 4790K that spent all it's life at 4.7 GHz. Life well lived.

Yeah it's seen a few overclocks mostly kept at 4.5ghz. my aio died so it did thermal throttle once or twice without me figuring out what was going on. Pump died

Then was on stock cooler for a while 

1 minute ago, Dransk said:

Yeah it's seen a few overclocks mostly kept at 4.5ghz. my aio died so it did thermal throttle once or twice without me figuring out what was going on. Pump died

Then was on stock cooler for a while 

Well, if it doesn't work properly on stock settings anymore, and a different CPU is solving the problem, either you have a failing CPU or PSU. You haven't mentioned the PSU yet.

Try removing the 1070 and running off the iGPU to reduce the PSU load. If it cleans up, then it's probably the PSU, if it doesn't, you're looking at a different CPU at least.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

38 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Well, if it doesn't work properly on stock settings anymore, and a different CPU is solving the problem, either you have a failing CPU or PSU. You haven't mentioned the PSU yet.

Try removing the 1070 and running off the iGPU to reduce the PSU load. If it cleans up, then it's probably the PSU, if it doesn't, you're looking at a different CPU at least.

Forgot to mention I tried running off the igpu before and it didn't work but I will do that. I have another power supply but it's out of old unit so I will just do my best with it. My power supply is 5 years old so maybe it is dead. Was planning to go fully modular soon so I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you for the idea man 

40 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Because I thought a dead CPU meant like things were like properly broken but if everything is running then maybe it is a power supply issue.