Is Linux lighter than Windows?

Go to solution Solved by Grabhanem,
2 minutes ago, Sidtyagi5 said:

I have an HP all-in-one pc lying around my house. It is a Pentium dual core with just 2GB of ram as you know windows 10 does not like just 2 GB of ram. So, i was wondering if is their any linux based OS which can run Under 2GB ram (At least browse the web without freezing). A more windows 10 themed OS will be proffered.

Yes definitely-- not all distros are perfectly light, but some can run on a 500MHz single core ARM chip with 512M of RAM.

I've heard good things about XFCE/XUbuntu as a lightweight, well supported platform, but I've never tried it myself. I run Kubuntu as my non-gaming OS and have had good experiences with it, it's very Windows-like in layout.

I have an HP all-in-one pc lying around my house. It is a Pentium dual core with just 2GB of ram as you know windows 10 does not like just 2 GB of ram. So, i was wondering if is their any linux based OS which can run Under 2GB ram (At least browse the web without freezing). A more windows 10 themed OS will be proffered.

2 minutes ago, Sidtyagi5 said:

Yes definitely-- not all distros are perfectly light, but some can run on a 500MHz single core ARM chip with 512M of RAM.

I've heard good things about XFCE/XUbuntu as a lightweight, well supported platform, but I've never tried it myself. I run Kubuntu as my non-gaming OS and have had good experiences with it, it's very Windows-like in layout.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

So should i run for Kubuntu?? My pentium runs at 3.2ghz but i have only 2 gigs of ram.

Just now, Sidtyagi5 said:

So should i run for Kubuntu?? My pentium runs at 3.2ghz but i have only 2 gigs of ram.

Kubuntu would probably run fine. Xubuntu might be a little snappier, it's very similar but with a bit more stripped-down and optimized UI, but either would work well.

3 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Kubuntu would probably run fine. Xubuntu might be a little snappier, it's very similar but with a bit more stripped-down and optimized UI, but either would work well.

Thanks man Windows wont even give me smooth playback on 720p.

17 minutes ago, Sidtyagi5 said:

Thanks man Windows wont even give me smooth playback on 720p.

You may find Xbuntu or Kbunutu won't either. Might have to go with something really stripped down like Peppermint. Fortunately, you can run a LiveCD/LiveISO of practically any Linux Distro and see how ell it behaves, before doing a full install.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'm running Kubuntu 18.04, and, at stock settings, it consumes around 800 Mb of RAM on startup.You definitely need something lighter with this about of RAM, like Lubuntu 18.04, it will consume around 300 Mb of RAM.