Help Linux troubles

Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

Oh you got hybrid graphics, definitely go with integrated then. Using nouveau would probably kill your battery anyway.

Also a little tip, launching a program from the terminal with "DRI_PRIME=1" before the command will launch the program using the second graphics device. For example, launching Firefox on the second GPU would be: DRI_PRIME=1 firefox

You might run into issues with it though, seeing as what we've had to deal with in this thread.

Okay so I just got a brand new laptop which is a asus vivobook M570DD-DS55, and after installing pop os or almost any other Linux distro it seems to work fine on the first boot but after I leave my laptop off for a while it constantly boots to this

15940012792076150405907887417395.jpg

do you know the command for the terminal by any chance?

Did you install the Nvidia version of PopOS, or the Intel/AMD version?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

At what point during boot does this happen? After POST, after bootup screen, after login etc...? Are you waiting at a black/blank screen for any amount of time before this happens?

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

6 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Did you install the Nvidia version of PopOS, or the Intel/AMD version?

Nvidia version

4 minutes ago, AMp3dStar said:

nvidia version

You shouldn't need to install the driver then unless @sp331yi knows something I don't and this is a known bug with newer drivers. If that is the case you should just need to run: 

cd Downloads
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20.run

This would also be the case for non-pop distros.

1 minute ago, mail929 said:

You shouldn't need to install the driver then unless @sp331yi knows something I don't and this is a known bug with newer drivers. If that is the case you should just need to run: 

cd Downloads
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20.run

This would also be the case for non-pop distros.

do you know how to boot pop os in nomodeset? so i can input this

34 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

At what point during boot does this happen? After POST, after bootup screen, after login etc...? Are you waiting at a black/blank screen for any amount of time before this happens?

After the asus logo shows, and the black screen for a little bit and then it goes light grey black again and then it does the rainbow

43 minutes ago, AMp3dStar said:

my screen looks like this where would i put it, or is there another method to load my laptop so i can get to the terminal

IMG_20200705_204433.jpg

Put nomodeset after quiet.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

7 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Put nomodeset after quiet.

i did it but after loading it still did the same thing

2 minutes ago, AMp3dStar said:

i did it but after loading it still did the same thing

Hm... Try that "Pop_OS! recovery" option, it should put you into a root terminal shell.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

18 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Hm... Try that "Pop_OS! recovery" option, it should put you into a root terminal shell.

so i did a fresh reinstall from the recovery mode, and if this time turns out the same as other times then my laptop will be fine as long as i leave it on but as soon as i leave it alone(off) for awhile it will go back to rainbow screen when i boot it. any suggestions to fix this?

2 minutes ago, AMp3dStar said:

so i did a fresh reinstall from the recovery mode, and if this time turns out the same as other times then my laptop will be fine as long as i leave it on but as soon as i leave it alone(off) for awhile it will go back to rainbow screen when i boot it. any suggestions to fix this?

Wait, you reinstalled from recovery mode, that didn't do what I though it would do, PopOS is weird. Ok, so when it does it again try pressing F2 and you should see lots of text scrolling down the screen until it reaches the login screen and it might do that thing again. Though it might not work, I just wanna see what happens to get a better feel of the issue.

I just had another thought, this looks like a hugely failed overclock. Maybe the generic Nvidia drivers don't know what's good for this GPU and are setting clocks far too high or far too low. Another thing to look into.

What distros have you tried, and which ones did you install the Nvidia driver in.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

8 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Wait, you reinstalled from recovery mode, that didn't do what I though it would do, PopOS is weird. Ok, so when it does it again try pressing F2 and you should see lots of text scrolling down the screen until it reaches the login screen and it might do that thing again. Though it might not work, I just wanna see what happens to get a better feel of the issue.

I just had another thought, this looks like a hugely failed overclock. Maybe the generic Nvidia drivers don't know what's good for this GPU and are setting clocks far too high or far too low. Another thing to look into.

What distros have you tried, and which ones did you install the Nvidia driver in.

I have only tried Debian based ones like Kubuntu, Pop os, and literally debian(couldn't get the GUI to work at all so i gave up). 

Edit: i have gotten both Kubuntu and Pop os to work but after leaving my laptop off overnight they started the rainbow screen

1 hour ago, AMp3dStar said:

I have only tried Debian based ones like Kubuntu, Pop os, and literally debian(couldn't get the GUI to work at all so i gave up). 

Edit: i have gotten both Kubuntu and Pop os to work but after leaving my laptop off overnight they started the rainbow screen

Have you tried not installing the Nvidia driver and just using the nouveau driver on any of the installations?

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

i have only tried the nvidia driver because i thought it was best for stability and reliability, so what is better about the nouveau driver?

1 minute ago, AMp3dStar said:

i have only tried the nvidia driver because i thought it was best for stability and reliability, so what is better about the nouveau driver?

Nouveau is developed by the community and integrates well with the kernel, stability and compatibility is the name of the game; it conforms to the Linux way of doing things. But it's reverse engineered nature means it's really inefficient and slow.

The official Nvidia binary driver is done by Nvidia's rules and is kinda hit or miss, but it's made by people who know how the GPU chips work so it performs great(when it works).

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Nouveau is developed by the community and integrates well with the kernel, stability and compatibility is the name of the game; it conforms to the Linux way of doing things. But it's reverse engineered nature means it's really inefficient and slow.

The official Nvidia binary driver is done by Nvidia's rules and is kinda hit or miss, but it's made by people who know how the GPU chips work so it performs great(when it works).

that's perfect for me im not looking for to much performance, so then which one would it be?

IMG_20200705_235550.jpg

Oh you got hybrid graphics, definitely go with integrated then. Using nouveau would probably kill your battery anyway.

Also a little tip, launching a program from the terminal with "DRI_PRIME=1" before the command will launch the program using the second graphics device. For example, launching Firefox on the second GPU would be: DRI_PRIME=1 firefox

You might run into issues with it though, seeing as what we've had to deal with in this thread.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

7 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Awesome man thx for the help so far so good(i'll mark the solution if the next day it works).

21 hours ago, AMp3dStar said:

Awesome man thx for the help so far so good(i'll mark the solution if the next day it works).

ok so far it does work!!!! but one slight issue it still does the rainbow screen before it loads the login screen then after i login it's black screens for a bit then loads the GUI fine afterwards.