CPU temp spikes and poor loop performance

Hi!

I am super new to PC's as a whole, let alone building one as of about 2 months ago... whilst I am quite technically minded, ive always been a user of other systems (we'll say no more). I just built a system for the first time... 3700x, Gigabyte 1070, Corsair Vengence 16GB 3200, Asus B450... not a bad setup, but definitely not amazing by any stretch.

Cooling is handled by a 240mm H100i.

I just OC'd the 3700x to 4.4 on all cores, but package is peaking at 85C... whilst the loop stabilizes at 35C. The temp shoots up from 40 to 80 within 15 seconds and creeps the last 5C or so. Im using thermal grizzly Kryonaut as my paste.

Any ideas? Are these normal temps and behaviours, or could there be poor flow in the AIO? Any recomendations?

TIA

those are fairly normal temps you shouldn't be worried about those but should keep an eye on them. If it goes past 90c, that is when I would get worried. As for the temps shooting up that is normal when you stress test it. 

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Seems pretty normal to me, 85c isn't enough to cause thermal throttling. It's pretty much the same deal with my 8700k, as I have the pump set to quiet. Also understand that overclocking 3rd gen Ryzen doesn't really net you much as PBO gives you basically all you need.

See i have the pump at full bore 24/7 which is silent anyways, im just interested as to why its stabalising at those temps! It feels like the block just cant wick the heat away fast enough.

Just now, tank234 said:

those are fairly normal temps you shouldn't be worried about those but should keep an eye on them. If it goes past 90c, that is when I would get worried. As for the temps shooting up that is normal when you stress test it. 

Im stressing it with OCCT and will keep my OC in check to keep it below upper 80's.

What would be the best upgrade path to bring those temps down on the CPU?

15 minutes ago, ItsJusBen said:

Im stressing it with OCCT and will keep my OC in check to keep it below upper 80's.

What would be the best upgrade path to bring those temps down on the CPU?

The best upgrade path would be to either go with a high end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, or the dark rock pro 4 from be quiet. Or you can go with a 280mm or a 360mm rad if your case allows for it 

5 minutes ago, tank234 said:

The best upgrade path would be to either go with a high end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, or the dark rock pro 4 from be quiet. Or you can go with a 280mm or a 360mm rad if your case allows for it 

Is a bigger rad going to make the biggest difference? My liquid temp doesnt get above 35C, and it idles about 32C. I have a broken NZXT Kraken with a 280mm rad. Could I switch the rads on the AIO... I know you aren't supposed to but im quite a happy hacker.|

Do you think a big ass air cooler is going to perform better than liquid cooling?

51 minutes ago, ItsJusBen said:

Is a bigger rad going to make the biggest difference? My liquid temp doesnt get above 35C, and it idles about 32C. I have a broken NZXT Kraken with a 280mm rad. Could I switch the rads on the AIO... I know you aren't supposed to but im quite a happy hacker.|

Do you think a big ass air cooler is going to perform better than liquid cooling?

yes most times a big cooler will be better than an aio. You can try to mod the aio but I don't think it is worth the risk of potentially making the lines leak. Personally I think you are fine with the config you have right now.  

5 minutes ago, tank234 said:

yes most times a big cooler will be better than an aio. You can try to mod the aio but I don't think it is worth the risk of potentially making the lines leak. Personally I think you are fine with the config you have right now.  

Cheers for the info pal!

1 hour ago, ItsJusBen said:

They perform similar to or better than most AIOs, yes, though neither will be a patch on a proper custom loop.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

Don’t really see an issue. Aio size limitations. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz