Razer Mamba+Firefly Hyperflux, beware

Hi All

Not to fearmonger but hopefully this will help some people out, I'm just about to return my second set of Mamba+Firefly.

Basically I currently use a standing desk which has a metal bar going right down the middle of the desk and this is causing interference, making the mouse disconnect every few minutes.

I tried a few different options to find this out and also combined certain things to try and alleviate the issue to no avail.

Here is what I did:

• Directly on desk next to metal keyboard
  • Directly on desk not next to metal keyboard
  • Firefly mat on electrical tape next to metal keyboard
  • Firefly mat on electrical tape not next to metal keyboard
  • Firefly mat on electrical tape and another thick mousepad next to metal keyboard
  • Firefly mat on electrical tape and another thick mousepad not next to metal keyboard

Desk Details:

• 2.5cm (1 inch) thick MDF/laminated wood table top.
  • Stainless steel metal support running directly underneath.
    • About 1mm thick tube, roughly 2.5cm (1 inch) width under the desk/firefly. 

Best case scenario I had:

• Hyperflux was on top of an Asus cloth with rubber base mousepad, about 3mm thick.
  • Electrical tape was applied to the desk in the shape of the hyperflux.

Things I didn't want to do:

• Dismantle desk and wrap the full bar repeatedly with electrical tape.
    • A lot of effort considering the desktop has monitor arms on it.
    • May cause the desktop to bow slightly if I use too much.
  • Increase the layers of the electrical tape on top.
    • Will make it an uneven surface.

To summarise, if you're looking at this product:

• Don't get it if you have metal (even thin metal) an inch underneath and through various insulators.
    • I do not know the magic number of mm/insulators where this would not be an issue.
  • Be very careful if you have a standing desk, I've had a few and only 1 didn't have the metal support running directly under the desk.
    • If you have a Jarvis or something similar you should be ok.
  • Be careful if you have metal near it/wireless chargers.
    • To be fair to them they do list this in the instructions and I knew this ahead of time, I did reorganise my desk to accomodate for this, the site has instructions about this, but not things like metal desk legs (hence my diasappointment).
    • One thing that I won't get a chance to properly test is to what degree a metal keyboard may interfere with it.
      • I would hope this wouldn't be an issue as I believe Razer sell keyboards with metal frames. They also sell the Orbweaver (which I have) meaning that your overall space is more crampt and depending on how you like to position, your keyboard in all likelihood will be close to the pad.
  • My last hope of something similar is that I've ordered a Logitech g903+Powerplay mat.
    • I didn't want to get the originally due to having too much software for peripherals already but this does have onboard memory so I can uninstall the software if necessary.
      • I kind of noobed out with Razer and not wanting too much software, the Hyperflux things require Synapse 3 and the Orbweaver (not sure if there's a newer one) requires Synapse 2 so I was again disappointed by this but would have lived with it.
    • I spoke to Logitech support and the agent (that said he had one) stated that although it doesn't work with metal desks, his pad is 50% on carbon fibre and 50% on stainless steel and still works.
      • As this is a worse scenario than mine, I'm more hopeful it will actually work.

If reliability is what you want,then go for Logitech for gaming,or Microsoft if you don't want to game.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I wouldn't argue that this was an issue of reliablity, its that it simply doesn't function as part of these scenarios.

As mentioned in the post, Logitech is the next option.

As to be expected, the Logitech seems to have worked right out of the box.

The difference with this mouse is that it actually uses a battery rather than a capacitor so it was always likely to experience interference much less.

I may be wrong, but I thought the battery % of the mouse went from 74 -> 73 -> 74 - 75 so it'll be interesting to see if it does manage to charge whilst using but should be fine to trickle charge when in use or charge faster when not in use.

51 minutes ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

As to be expected, the Logitech seems to have worked right out of the box.

The difference with this mouse is that it actually uses a battery rather than a capacitor so it was always likely to experience interference much less.

I may be wrong, but I thought the battery % of the mouse went from 74 -> 73 -> 74 - 75 so it'll be interesting to see if it does manage to charge whilst using but should be fine to trickle charge when in use or charge faster when not in use.

I am glad the Logitech works,enjoy your new mouse :D

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566